Match Report


Berwick Rangers v Stenhousemuir at Shielfield Park, Berwick on 17.04.18

SPFL Ladbrokes League Two             Att 326

Berwick Rangers 0 Stenhousemuir 0


Berwick Rangers – Brennan, Fleming, Notman [O’Kane 73][b83], Orru, Lavery [b89], Murrell [Thomson 72], Phillips, Stewart, Wilson, Hamilton and Dodd. Subs not used – Jarrett, McKinlay, Fairbairn, Cook and Simpson


Stenhousemuir – Smith, Meechan, M.Dunlop, R.Dunlop, Donaldson, Ferry, Ferns [Murray 64], Paton, Longworth [Scott 64], Dallas and Cook. Subs not used – Marsh, Halleran and McMinn


Referee – Craig Napier          Assistants –Ralph Gordon and Daniel Graves


After a number of postponements the Warriors eventually made the trip to Berwick for the first time this season. There was one enforced change as Colin McMenamin was missing due to work commitments whilst Innes Murray was on the bench despite having featured in a similar role for the Hibs Development Squad earlier in the day.


Berwick had a major change with keeper Robbie McCrorie missing his first game of the season and Sean Brennan was to take his place with an confident performance whilst Ouzy See was out after his terrible injury on the Saturday.


Whilst Stenhousemuir were still pushing for the promotion play-offs Berwick were at the other end of the table but had just secured their spot in the league for next season and that gave them a relative freedom in this game.


The Warriors started positively and pushed the Borderers back for the early stages of the game but they were unable to make the breakthrough with the closest being a Ruaridh Donaldson dipping shot that went just wide. Berwick showed it wasn’t going to be one sided though and Jack Hamilton flicked an effort just wide from a Kieran Stewart cross in the 12th minute. The Warriors called Brannan into action to save from Andy Dallas in the 17th minute. The keeper though brought off a great one handed save to thwart Alan Cook in the 37th minute. That save was upstaged two minutes later by Chris Smith who saved an Aaron Murrell penalty after Donaldson had fouled Steven Notman. There was plenty of action in the closing stages of the half and the visitors could have been a goal up after Eddie Ferns whipped a cross into the danger area that just needed a touch from Jamie Longworth but he was just short before Smith denied Berwick once more this time saving from Robert Wilson.


Once the game restarted it was Stenhousemuir that took the early initiative and Cook rose well to meet a Ross Meechan cross but was headed just wide. Berwick replied a minute later with a powerful strike by Gary Phillips but once again Smith was to save. Just after this effort the play went down the other end and a long throw by Meechan managed to travel to the back post where Cook pounced but Brennan was able to smother.


The game ebbed and flowed after this but there were few clear cut chances from either side as the game progressed. The introduction of Innes Murray livened up proceedings though and a curling shot beat the keeper but crashed off the post.


Towards the end of the match tempers began to rise and Berwick sub Declan O’Kane was booked after an altercation though the card shown could have easily been another colour.


With seven minutes left Jimmy Scott fired a rebound from a free-kick wide and the whistle blew without any scoring for the Warriors first 0-0 draw this season. It was a frustrating night for the visitors who had the chances but it could have been far worse if Chris Smith hadn’t made that vital penalty save


Warriors TV


Date Time League Season Full Time
April 17, 2018 7:45 pm SPFL Ladbrokes League 2 2017/2018 90'


Shielfield Park, Berwick


Club1st Half2nd HalfGoalsOutcome