Match Report

Stenhousemuir v Stirling Albion at Ochilview Park, Stenhousemuir on 29.7.14

Stirlingshire Cup First Round       Att 189

Stenhousemuir 6 [Sludden 10,45,56 Lawson 36, Doherty 39, Greacen 87] Stirling Albion 0

Stenhousemuir – Shaw, Meechan [Duncan 80], Gracen, Lawson, Redpath, K.Millar, Doherty, Fotheringham, McMenamin, Sludden [Chitemere 60] and R.Millar. Subs not used – Summers, Faulds, Watt, Hamilton and Dickson .

Stirling Albion – Reidford, Al-Sayed, Cross, Robertson, Grant, Boyle, McAllister, Munn [Herron 58], Hurst [Hurst 58], Sinclair [McKenzie 67] and Forsyth. Sub not used – Paterson.

Referee – Barry Cook     Assistants – Graeme Leslie and Gavin Thomson.

When the clubs meet in a couple of weeks time in the league there will be little resemblance to the starting elevens from this Stirlingshire Cup encounter as not one of the starting line up from either side contained anybody that had started in the Petrofac Cup on the Saturday prior to this encounter.

Indeed this is more likely to be the sides for a Development League match albeit with some exceptions. The Warriors had the elder statesmen of Colin McMenamin and Stewart Greacen in their ranks along with Kieran Millar and Paul Sludden outwith the U20 age group. Stirling fielded experience in Ross Forsyth and Callum Reidford as well as trialist Willie Robertson who would not qualify.

In the Stenhousemuir ranks were a couple of non-registered players in 18 year old James Redpath a full back from North Merchiston BC, and Stanley Chitemere a 17 year old forward who had been part of the Hibs Under 17s last season. Both were in the process of being signed but the paperwork was not completed by the day of the game.

The Warriors started the game promisingly with a high tempo and slick passing and Ryan Millar saw a strike well saved by Reidford in only the second minute. They eventually were rewarded for their endeavours in the 10th minute when Paul Sludden spotted Reidford off his line and chipped him from 30 yards out.

Stirling were denied twice through fine saves by Dean Shaw who saved efforts from Greg Hurst and Tommy McAllister before the Warriors extended the lead in the 36th minute. Once again Reidford was culpable as he failed to gather a Sludden corner and Alan Lawson bundled the ball home. Shortly afterwards it was 3-0 when Kyle Doherty got on the scoresheet scoring at the second attempt after getting behind the Stirling defence. This was reward for a number of runs into dangerous areas by the youngster throughout the first half.

The scoring didn’t end there though as the pick of the goals came in the 45th minute when Sludden once again showing positional awareness fired a 35 yard effort past the despairing Reidford.

 After the burst of goals in the first period the goals dried up a bit in the second. Sludden though got his hat-trick in the 56th minute when he was alert to drive the ball home from close range after a McMenamin shot was blocked. This was his last involvement as he was subbed shortly afterwards.

Although Stenhousemuir were still the better passing team the momentum dropped and Shaw once again highlighted his credentials to deny Stirling after a rare defensive mistake gave the visitors a chance. With six minutes remaining Stirling were reduced to ten men when Willie Robertson was dismissed for his second caution with both bookings being rash tackles.

In the 87th minute Stewart Greacen completed the scoring with a looping header that looked to be going over but somehow dropped over the keeper and into the net.

Thus Stenhousemuir progress to the semi-finals where their opponents are Alloa Athletic at Recreation Park after the Wasps received a bye to that stage.   

Warriors TV


Date Time League Season Full Time
July 29, 2014 7:30 pm Stirlingshire Cup 2014/2015 90'


Ochilview Park Stenhousemuir


Club1st Half2nd HalfGoalsOutcome