Match Report


Stenhousemuir v Elgin City at Ochilview Park, Stenhousemuir on 02.08.08
Bells Scottish League Division Three      Att 320
Stenhousemuir 3 [Brand 33,89, Hampshire 76] Elgin City 0
The start of the league campaign saw the Warriors up against an Elgin side that had been unable to freshen up the side through the close season but although this could have had a detrimental effect of the Highlanders it meant that at least they had had a fairly settled starting eleven though they had to augment the bench with two trialists. Stenhousemuir on the other hand started the team with Kieron Renton, Chris McGroarty, John Ovenstone, Iain Thomson and Andrew Brand all making their league debut as did Kevin Motion when he came on as a substitute at half time.
The home side started with purpose and they should have taken the lead after only 35 seconds when Thomson picked out Scott Dalziel but with only the keeper Ally Ridgers to beat fired wide of the target. The Warriors dominated the opening exchanges and had a number of chances to open the scoring in the first quarter of the game. Slowly however Elgin came into the game and Renton was tested by a Darren Shallicker freekick on the half hour. Stenhousemuir responded positively and Brand had a chance after been picked out by a deft Thomson flick but his effort lacked power and was comfortably saved. Within a minute of that miss Brand made up for that miss with a stunning effort after he picked up a Willie Lyle throw in before cutting infield and thundering the ball past Ridgers to put the Warriors ahead after 33 minutes. Going into half time manager John Coughlin would have been happy with the performance but just before the whistle blew Chris McGroarty was involved in a nasty collision with Renton after being pushed by a Elgin player and was unable to take any further part in the game. This was quickly followed by a lapse at a corner kick with Renton having to come to the rescue making a double save from Craig Campbell.
The second half saw Willie Lyle fire just wide after a one two with Brand but Elgin were coming back into the game as they tried to get back on level terms and they had efforts from Ross O’Donoghue and Jason Crooks. The pivotal moment in the game came in the 68th minute when Kenny Gilbert was adjudged to have prevented a goal scoring opportunity in the box when the ball struck his elbow and he was dismissed. Andy Brand blasted the ball over the bar but Elgin were to suffer from the reduction in personnel. Steven Hampshire scored the Warriors second goal in the 76th minute when he steered the ball into the net after a Thomson effort had been saved by Ridger’s legs. The victory was sealed in the 89th minute when a Kevin Motion corner picked out Brand at the far post and he squeezed his header in from a fairly tight angle. Although the final result indicated that it was a comfortable win it was anything but as Elgin did well to claw their way back into a game after a first period when the Warriors would have been out of sight if they had taken their chances.
Stenhousemuir – Renton, Lyle, McGroarty [Motion h/t], Smith, Ovenstone, Tyrrell, Thomson, Ferguson, Dalziel [Gibson 64], Brand and Hampshire [Love 86]. Subs not used – Shirra and Bennett
Elgin City – Ridgers, Gilbert [so 68], Mackay, Nicolson, Kaczan, Hind, Campbell, O’Donoghue, Shallicker, Crooks and Low [McDonald 74][t], Subs not used – Trialist B, McPhee, Cameron and Anderson
Referee – Gary Hilland 
Assistants – Derek Rose and Raymond Whyte


Date Time League Season Full Time
August 2, 2008 3:00 pm SPFL Ladbrokes League 1 2008/2009 90'


Ochilview Park
55 Gladstone Rd, Stenhousemuir, Larbert FK5, UK. What 3 Words reference: overdone.machine.darkens


Club1st Half2nd HalfGoalsOutcome