Match Report


Peterhead v Stenhousemuir at Balmoor Stadium, Peterhead on 22.3.11
Irn Bru Scottish Second Division                 Att 384
Peterhead 2 [Wyness 41, 61 pen]             Stenhousemuir 2 [Anderson 35,39]
This bottom of the league clash was a vital one for both sides and Peterhead showed now they rated it by dismissing manager Neale Cooper on the eve of the game, though statement says mutual consent, and appointed John Sheran ex-Montrose and Cove manager before kick off. Though for this game he intended to take a back seat and give Bobby Mann the run of the team.
Stenhousemuir were struggling with injuries and suspensions for this game and Lewis Sloan stepped into the middle of midfield along with Brian Gilmour who was playing as a trialist having been unattached since the start of the season after being left in limbo when an extension to his contract at Lincoln City fell through.
Although both teams looked to attack in the early stages with decent crosses coming into the box, defences were on top and it took until the 13th minute of the game before either keeper was tested and Ally Brown tipped over a Martin Bavidge effort after he was picked out by a through ball from Neil McVitie.
The home side came close once again in the 17th minute with a swift counter attack from a Stenhousemuir corner and Graeme Sharp’s effort went just the wrong side of the post. Peterhead came close once again to opening the scoring in the 29th minute when Daniel Moore hit a drive that was stopped by Brown’s chest.
The Warriors almost snatched the lead in the 31st minute when Lewis Sloan picked out an Alex Williams run and the striker’s first time effort brought out a brilliant save from Jon Bateman
Stenhousemuir took the lead in the 35th minute when Gilmour played a quick free kick to Grant Anderson down the left channel and Anderson struck a first time shot across goal and into the net. The key to the success was the early strike that left Peter Bateman flat footed. This goal came out of the blue and there was further misery when the Warriors extended their lead three minutes later. Once again Anderson was the scorer, this time bundling the ball over the line after a Sean Dickson free kick was flicked into his path.
Stenhousemuir were unable to hold on to their two goal margin until the interval though as in the 41st minute Peterhead scored through veteran Dennis Wyness who headed home a Martin Bavidge headed flick from a scooped Stuart Smith cross. They almost equalised before the half ended as Brown had to tip a Bavidge effort round the post.
Peterhead almost drew level in the 58th minute when Bavidge was denied once again by a Brown save this time with his legs and when the ball broke free Michael Devlin had two vital blocks to clear the danger. It was not long though before the Blue Toon equalised though they had some assistance from an assistant referee. A Peterhead player went down in the box and referee Mat Northcroft who was in a good position saw nothing wrong but the far side assistant called him over and indicated a pull of the jersey by Gary Thom on Callum MacDonald. Wyness stepped up and converted the penalty though his run up for it with a complete stop in proceedings should have meant a retake.
In the 81st minute things got worse for the Warriors when Gary Thom was dismissed for a second caution and Michael Hunter came on to take up the defensive role.  Despite being forced onto the back foot it was Stenhousemuir who almost snatched the winner at the death when Grant Plenderleith made a strong run and from an acute angle forced Bateman into a save.
In the end this will be seen as a further two points dropped and with dismissal of Gary Thom it leaves David Irons with major selection problems for the Ayr game on Saturday.
Peterhead – Bateman, Donald, Stuart Smith [B68], S.Ross , MacDonald, McVitie, Sharp [D.Ross 78], Wyness [Gethins 74], Bavidge, Emslie and Moore [Clark 42].
Subs not used – Strachan and Jarvie
Stenhousemuir – Brown, Lyle, Dickson, Thom [b72][so81], Devlin, Sloan [Hunter 82], Anderson, Lynch [Dalziel 86], Williams, [Plenderleith 80] Gilmour and Murray.
Subs not used – Quinn and McCluskey
Referee – Mat Northcroft                           
Assistants – David Watt and Douglas Ross

Warriors TV


Date Time League Season Full Time
March 22, 2011 7:45 pm SPFL Ladbrokes League 1 2010/2011 90'


Balmoor Stadium, Peterhead


Club1st Half2nd HalfGoalsOutcome