Match Report


Stenhousemuir v Threave Rovers at Ochilview Park on 25.10.08
Homecoming Scottish Cup Second Round             Att 247
Stenhousemuir 5 [Thom 32, Motion 53, Shirra 67,89, Thomson 73] Threave 0
In dreadful weather conditions the Warriors came out top in a fairly one sided game. Threave were looking to build on last season’s surprise victory over Stenhousemuir and they had high hopes when they kicked off with the wind at their backs. The home side suffered a blow in the 4th minute when Stevie Desmond left the field with a nose bleed and had to be subbed four minutes later. It was not to be too upsetting for the Warriors however as Andy Shirra relished the early opportunity to play and gave a man of the match performance. After 17 minutes Stenhousemuir were forced into another substitution when Stevie Ferguson had to leave the pitch. Despite these setbacks in the midfield, Threave failed to capitalize on the conditions and the only time that Scott Bennett was called into action in the whole game was when Willie Lyle sliced a clearance backwards and luckily the ball flew straight to Bennett.
Gradually the Warriors began to take a foothold on the game and might have scored through a John Ovenstone header from a Kevin Motion corner but his header bounced into the ground and over the bar to the relief of the Castle Douglas faithful.
It was a Motion free kick however that broke the deadlock when he swung in a cross from almost the corner mark and Gary Thom rose high to head past Vinnie Parker in the Threave goal after 32 minutes. This was the first attempt that either side had on target and was actually the first foul committed by Threave.
To have any chance of getting back into the game at all Threave realistically had to draw level by half time but they failed to create any clear cut chances.
The Ssecond half saw Stenhousemuir fly out of the traps and they tested Threave several times in the first five minutes of the half and it came as no surprise when t hey went further ahead. This goal came in the 53rd minute when Andy Shirra crossed from the right to Andy Brand at the back post, he headed back for Motion to volley home from close range.
The third goal came in the 67th minute when Iain Thomson won possession before playing the ball to Shirra who hit a first time screamer across goal and into the net giving Parker no chance.
The Warriors brought on Robert Love for Scott Dalziel in the 71st minute and he made an almost immediate impact setting up the fourth goal with a beautiful reserve pass into Thomson who swept the ball into the net.
With time running out the Warriors went nap when a Love cross from the left flank was taken by Shirra in his stride and although the ball initially ballooned up he showed composure in letting it drop before dispatching the ball home.
All in all this was a professional performance from a team expected to win and completed the job with little fuss.
Stenhousemuir – Bennett, Lyle, McGroarty, Thom, Ovenstone, Tyrrell, Desmond [Shirra 8], Ferguson [Thomson 17], Dalziel [Love 71], Brand and Motion. Subs not used – McEwan and Renton
Threave Rovers – Parker, Wilby, McGuffie, Patterson, Gault, Struthers [McGinley 63], Green, Beattie, Donley [Nicol 79], Cook [Wilson 63] and Warren. Subs not used – Fingland and McColm
Referee – George Salmond           
Assistants – Stephen Pullar and Andy Tait


Date Time League Season Full Time
October 25, 2008 3:00 pm Scottish Gas Men's Scottish Cup 2008/09 90'


Ochilview Park
55 Gladstone Rd, Stenhousemuir, Larbert FK5, UK. What 3 Words reference: overdone.machine.darkens


Club1st Half2nd HalfGoalsOutcome