Match Report


Stenhousemuir v East Fife at Ochilview Park, Stenhousemuir on 12.2.11
Irn Bru Scottish Second Division                 Att 590
Stenhousemuir 0 East Fife 2 [Young 45, Linn 48]
A disappointing game and a disappointing result for the Warriors who tumbled to the bottom of the table after this East Fife victory.
The Warriors went into this game with Stevie Thomson returning from his loan period at Berwick Rangers and he started in place of Sean Dickson, whilst Lewis Sloan made his first start after an appearance as a sub the previous week as a trialist. Alex Williams also regaining a place in the first eleven as he also was promoted from the bench with Ross Clark and Scott Dalziel dropped to it instead.
East Fife had went into this game without a victory away from home all season but they showed their intent when Ally Brown had to make a fine save in the 3rd minute to prevent Robert Sloan opening the scoring. The keeper had to receive treatment after the stop but was able to resume before play re-commenced.
For the Fifers Stevie Hislop was not so lucky as he injured himself coming to a sharp halt and despite trying to play on eventually had to concede defeat and was replaced five minutes later by Lloyd Young.
Stenhousemuir gradually came into the game and in the 23rd minute Williams should have done better when picked out by a Sloan cross, but the marksman showed his rustiness and was unable to control the ball when he would normally have at least tested the keeper. Two minutes later a Stevie Thomson cross was deflected as it went into the danger area and was only cleared to the edge of the box where Iain Thomson met it with a well executed volley that was saved by Michael Brown
Bobby Linn should have put the Fife team into the lead when he managed to squeeze a shot under Ally Brown but the keeper had taken enough momentum off the ball for Scott Gibb to clear the danger.
At the other end an Eric Paton free kick was only parried out and Iain Thomson fired over from close range.
Just as the game looked to be heading for the interval goalless sub Young pounced for Eat Fife taking advantage of sloppy defence that allowed a Linn cross to get to him and Young who has scored a few times against the Warriors added to his tally with ease.
Any team talk about getting onto level terms went out the window shortly aftr the resumption when Linn doubled the lead for East Fife after he beat a poorly executed offside trap to round the keeper and place the ball into the net.
After this Stenhousemuir did have chances to get back into the game but Lynch and Willliams both squandered chances as they lacked match sharpness to take advantage of the chances that went their way.
In the 64th minute Stenhousemuir were reduced to ten men after Stevie Murray was sent off for use of an elbow on Jim Hamilton and referee Euan Norris made the correct decision in sending him off.
This effectively killed off Stenhousemuir’s chances of getting back into the game as too many players struggled to up the tempo to compensate and in the end East Fife ran out comfortable winners and thus leapfrogged Stenhousemuir at the bottom of the table.   
Stenhousemuir – Brown, Lyle, S.Thomson [Dickson 73], Gibb, Smith, I.Thomson, Sloan [Anderson 56], Lynch [Dalziel 56], Williams, Paton [b53] and Murray [so 64]. Subs not used – Clark and McCluskey
East Fife – Brown, Durie [b17], McCulloch, Ovenstone, McGowan, Muir, Linn, Hamilton, Hislop [Young 19], Sloan and Johnstone [Park 73]. Subs not used – Smart, Fagan and Lyness
Referee – Euan Norris   Assistants – Andy Tait and Howard Wilkin


Warriors TV


Date Time League Season Full Time
February 12, 2011 3:00 pm SPFL Ladbrokes League 1 2010/2011 90'


Ochilview Park Stenhousemuir


Club1st Half2nd HalfGoalsOutcome