Match Report


Stenhousemuir v Dumbarton at Ochilview Park, Stenhousemuir on 8.11.08
Irn-Bru Scottish League Division Three             Att 723
Stenhousemuir 1 [Brand 61] Dumbarton 1 [Murray 81]
The top of the table clash between Stenhousemuir and Dumbarton ended with a share of the points with the home side regretting good opportunities squandered in the first half.
The game started explosively with Willie Lyle booked in the first minute for a rash tackle on Stevie Murray and the referee showed that he had no qualms about producing cards early when he sent off Kevin Motion in the fifth minute for a tackle on Andy Geggan. The foul was committed when Motion overstretched for the ball and was deemed reckless by the referee Anthony Law. For a period after that the Warriors did their best to keep possession and regroup and they were added in their cause when Dumbarton’s Gary Wilson was dismissed in the 13th minute for another tackle, this time on Iain Thomson, that was deemed dangerous. John Ovenstone, the Warriors captain for the day, was cautioned for his part in the melee that took place following the tackle.
Eventually tempers calmed down and the Stenhousemuir were the more probing in their play and they should have scored in the 17th minute when Scott Dalziel received the ball well inside the box, but he dithered possibly thinking he was offside and when he eventually got his shot away it was saved at point blank range by Mark McGeown. The follow up play to this incident saw Robert Love apparently fouled in the box but no foul was given.
The first and only scare of the first half for Stenhousemuir came in the 27th minute when a weak punch out by Scott Bennett was met by an overhead kick from a Dumbarton attacker but the ball went wide of the goals
Just before half time the home side should have taken the lead following excellent work down the left flank by Chris McGroarty who whipped in a cross for Andy Brand who somehow missed the target altogether with a header wide from inside the six yard box.
Dumbarton started the second half with purpose but they struggled to make any impact on the home defence and it was the Warriors that eventually gained the upper hand just after the hour when Andy Shirra played the ball into the path of Brand who thundered the ball into the net from 25 yards.
Scott Dalziel was unlucky not to get the second with a powerful run and shot that went just past the post but deserved better.
With 20 minutes to go Dumbarton brought on Michael Moore and his aerial threat added to the Dumbarton attack. Stenhousemuir tried to nullify the threat by bringing on Jordan Smith who had passed a late fitness test.
Dumbarton equalized in the 82nd minute when a long range Stevie Murray effort took a deflection off a Stenhousemuir defender that wrong footed Bennett and went into the net. The ex-Killie player said that he thought that the original shot was going in anyway.
With the game progressing towards the close the Warriors suffered another blow when Smith appeared to pick up a reoccurrence of his previous injury and had to limp off the pitch.
Still Stenhousemuir by virtue of this draw maintain their two point advantage at the top of the league though the next closest challengers Cowdenbeath drew closer with a comfortable win against Elgin 
Stenhousemuir – Bennett, Lyle [b1], McGroarty, Thom, Ovenstone [b13], Thomson, Love [Smith 75][McEwan 86], Shirra, Dalziel, Brand and Motion [so5]. Subs not used – Hamilton, Hampshire and Renton
Dumbarton – McGeown, Lennon, Wilson [so 13], O’Bryne, Gordon, Clark, Carcary [Moore 69], Geggan, McLeod [Cusack 85], Keegan [Chisholm 59] and Murray. Subs not used – Canning and McEwan
Referee – Anthony Law           
Assistants – Stevie O’Reilly and Paul Robertson  


Date Time League Season Full Time
November 8, 2008 3:00 pm SPFL Ladbrokes League 1 2008/2009 90'


Ochilview Park
55 Gladstone Rd, Stenhousemuir, Larbert FK5, UK


Club1st Half2nd HalfGoalsOutcome