Match Report


Brechin City v Stenhousemuir at Glebe Park, Brechin on 30.01.10
Irn Bru Scottish Second Division                               Att 413
Brechin City 2 [McAllister 59, Docherty 69] Stenhousemuir 2 [Scullion 66, Gair 78]
Stenhousemuir would have travelled to Brechin more in hope than expectation as their small squad was depleted even more through further injuries in the midweek game against Dunfermline. This meant that Kevin Bradley and Craig Molloy were added to the injury list that had already included Chris McLeod, Andy Brand and Iain Diack. The personnel that the Warriors could call upon was also reduced by the transfer of Craig O’Reilly to Bonnyrigg Rose and the return of Lee Currie and Sean Welsh to Hibs after the end of their loan period. There was however a new player in Scott Gibb signed from Drogeda United but the Under 21 Northern Ireland internationalist is best known locally for his time at Falkirk and loan periods at both the Shire and Stirling Albion. He was to make his debut late in the game coming off the subs bench along with another player featuring for the first time in Sean Dickson from the Stenhousemuir youth set up.
Brechin on the other hand were able to field the same starting eleven that had comprehensively beaten Clyde the previous week.
With the cold frosty weather returning throughout the country a number of games were called off but Glebe Park was not one of the casualties mainly thanks to the groundsman and his volunteers who had the foresight to put covers down to protect the surface. This meant a 7am start to lift them and they were rewarded for their efforts when the pitch passed a precautionary inspection at 11am. Although the pitch was bumpy in places that stopped the free flowing football the most important thing was that play was able to take place at all.
The game started anxiously for the Warriors with Scott Dalziel requiring treatment after a foul in the first minute of the game but luckily he was able to continue. Both teams were struggling to get a grip of the conditions though the home side saw Charlie King have the first effort on target in the 7th minute but Chris McCluskey made a comfortable save. The Warriors were trying to make the breakthrough by playing the ball down the left channel the majority of the time and although they had some success with this tactic getting behind the home defence the final ball was not incisive enough or support play was lacking. As the game progressed Brechin began to create a number of chances in the latter end of the first half and should have went into the interval with at least a one goal lead but they were unable to do so thanks to a plethora of saves from McCluskey, some stout defending, and several near misses.
Brechin continued to be on top but they must have thought it was not going to be their day when McCluskey brought off a wonderful double save in the 56th minute. Eventually they made the breakthrough that their play deserved when Rory McAllister followed up a loose ball after a couple of efforts had been blocked to fire home his 18th goal of the season in the 59th minute.
Stenhousemuir to their credit fought back and equalised in the 66th minute when a Kevin Motion corner struck the far post before falling to Pat Scullion who from 14 yards out drove his shot through the legs of Craig Nelson and into the net.
Stenhousemuir’s celebrations were brief though as Brechin took the lead once again three minutes later after a McAllister shot struck the post and Mark Docherty pounced to score from close range.
At this stage it would not have been a surprise if Brechin had gone on to win with ease as the Warrior’s were beginning to suffer from their exertions in the Dunfermline game. They managed to keep going through and surprised the home side by drawing level once again when another Motion corner was headed home by Scott Gair. This was to be Motion’s last kick of the ball as he was subbed straight afterwards as John Coughlin tried to bring fresh legs onto the field. A minute later his third and final substitution was forced upon him when Iain Thomson limped off.
In the final minutes both teams tried hard to get the winner with the game opening up throughout the pitch but despite there being no further scoring the Warriors could hold their heads up high for the efforts that they put into the game when most players were running on empty at the end
Brechin City – Nelson, R.Walker, Dyer, McLean, A.Walker, Janczyk, Byers [Cowan 86], Fusco, McAllister, King [Harty 86] and Docherty.
Subs not used – Canning, Smith and Scott
Stenhousemuir – McCluskey, Lyle [Gibb 79], S.Thomson [b45], Gair [b68], Smith, Thom, Love, I.Thomson [Stirling 80], Dalziel, Scullion and Motion [Dickson 79].
Subs not used – Plenderleith and Bennett
Referee – Kevin Clancy                
Assistants – David Watt and Cammy Mackay



Date Time League Season Full Time
January 30, 2010 3:00 pm SPFL Ladbrokes League 1 2009/2010 90'


Glebe Park, Brechin


Club1st Half2nd HalfGoalsOutcome