Match Report


Cove Rangers v Stenhousemuir at Allan Park, Cove, Aberdeen on 17.07.09
Pre Season Friendly
Cove Rangers 2 [Henderson 6, Milne 7] v Stenhousemuir 1 [Love 39]
The first game in the pre-season tour was our first ever match at Allan Park and it was a baptism of fire in the early stages of this match against the Highland League Champions. The game on a very tight park was played in terrible weather and although the pitch stood up to the rain well the lines did not and the pitch had to be relined before the game and at half time. Cove started the game at a high tempo that Stenhousemuir failed to compete with and the home side almost took the leads in 5 minutes when a timely interception by Gary Thom cleared the danger. It was not long to wait however for the home support as they took the lead a minute later when Robbie Henderson opened the scoring after played through by Barry Stephen. A minute later they had doubled the lead when a Stephen effort was saved by Scott Bennett and the rebound was tucked away by debutant Danny Milne slotted the ball home. Cove continued to dominate as the Warriors were slow to come into the game and had numerous chances to add to their tally in the first 20 minutes and they could have easily doubled their lead. Stenhousemuir gradually found their feet and Robert Love stroked the ball just past the post in the 26th minute. He had another effort saved by Stuart McKenzie’s feet four minutes later after being picked out by sub Pat Scullion who had replaced Scott Dalziel who had picked up a knock earlier in the proceedings. Kevin Motion was next to come close with an effort that almost caught the keeper out but eventually the Warriors got a goal when a neat interchange of passes ended with Love rounding the keeper and tucking the ball into an empty net. 
The second half saw the Warriors play some neat passing football but there was little cutting edge to their game. Roddy Black came close for the home side with an effort that whistled just over the bar and this was followed by a similar effort from Scullion a couple of minutes later. With Stenhousemuir growing stronger and the home team looking to tire after their initial efforts it felt as if Stenhousemuir could get back into the game and Kevin Bradley was denied in the 64th minute when McKenzie fingertipped a cross away from the attacker as he was poised to score. Four minutes later Love created an opening through good footwork but his effort went just the wrong side of the post.  In the 83rd minute Bennett was called into action first of all to deny Stephen and from the resultant corner make a one handed stop to save Chris McLeod’s sliced clearance that almost flew into the net. The game ended with Stenhousemuir on the attack but unable to get the equaliser though manager John Coughlin will have been happy with the good workout after the initial opening passage of the game.
Cove Rangers – McKenzie, Cruickshank [Annand 72], Lawrie, Bain, Watson [Robertson 82], Heads, Stephen, Johnston, Henderson [Whelan 84], Milne [Huggins 72] and Black [Tosh 70]. Sub not used – Windrum
Stenhousemuir – Bennett, Lyle, S.Thomson, Thom, McLeod, Molloy, Love [ Stirling 73], I.Thomson [O’Reilly 81], Dalziel [Scullion 16], Bradley [Diack 81] and Motion. Sub not used – McCluskey
Referee – Bryan Braidwood       
Assistants – Callum Spence and Brian Dean


Date Time League Season Full Time
July 17, 2009 7:30 pm Friendly 2009/2010 90'


Allan Park, Cove


Club1st Half2nd HalfGoalsOutcome