Match Report


Berwick Rangers v Stenhousemuir at Shielfield Park, Berwick on 6.12.08
Irn Bru Scottish League Three                    Att 367
Berwick 3[ McLaren 17, Thom og 30, McMenamin 77] Stenhousemuir 2 [Hampshire 2, Love 67]
John Coughlin’s return to Shielfield after his move to Stenhousemuir last season ended in bitter disappointment as Berwick took a deserved three points for the first time in eight matches.
The Warriors went into this game with a depleted squad once again but they were boosted by the presence of Scott Dalziel who looked as if he was going to miss a number of games when he was injured at Inverness Clachnacuddin the previous week.  The bench in the main was made up of players who were not 100% but included Scott McManus and a trialist Martin Jack who is an ex-Elgin City and ICT youth player. Both were to feature in the latter stages of the game but were unable to make an impact.
It all started brightly for the league leaders when they took the lead in only the second minute when Stevie Hampshire showed composure to pick his spot when Ryan McGurk’s diving stop at the feet of Dalziel saw the ball break to Hampshire who made no mistake.
The pitch was stodgy after the freezing temperatures earlier in the week combined with heavy rain at the end and this was to have a bearing on the Berwick equaliser.  A through ball from the right to Fraser McLaren on the left flank caused more problems than it should have when Craig McEwan fell and this allowed the Scotland Under 19 player a free run on goal. Scott Bennett came out to narrow the angles but the ball stuck in the worst part of the pitch and this would have thrown the keeper who was to suffer when McLaren shot into the net via the post.
To be honest this was no less than the Borderers deserved as they had created the better chances with McLaren missing the best of them when he was unable to get a couple of headers on target from close range.
The Warriors were struggling to create much up front due to lack of supply though Robert Love who always looked lively came close with a shot that went just over the bar following a one two with Iain Thomson.
Berwick took the lead in the 30th minute through unfortunate circumstances when a free kick from the right was diverted past Bennett by a diving Gary Thom header. The Stenhousemuir defender almost equalised three minutes later when he had a shot well saved by McGurk
In the second half the Warriors came back into the game and Hampshire had an effort cleared off the line before they equalised through Love who did well to take a difficult ball under control before sweeping the ball past McGurk and into the net after 67 minutes.
The celebrations were to be short lived though as they came back down to earth with a bump following another calamitous goal. This time the ball was given away cheaply in a dangerous area and Darren Gribben capitalised by bursting behind the defence and into the goalmouth, Bennett attempted to block the ball but lacked conviction and it fell back to the forward again and with the keeper hesitating about what to do he rolled the ball across the box to grateful recipient Chris McMenamin who had the simple task to dispatch the ball into the net.
If the result was not bad enough there was a further blow in stoppage time when Iain Thomson limped off the pitch and looked to be struggling.
The most disappointing thing for the manager would not have been the defeat in itself but in the main it was a sloppy performance and the team never really got going against a Berwick side that looked hungry and eager.
Berwick Rangers – McGurk, Guy [b86], Dillon [b90], Ewart [b33], Horn, Callaghan, McMenamin, G.Greenhill [Fraser 74], Gribben, McLaren and D.Greenhill.  Subs not used – Bonar, Little, Chris Anderson and Lunn
Stenhousemuir – Bennett , McEwan  [McManus 85], McGroarty  Thom [b51] , Ovenstone , Thomson , Shirra  [Desmond 71], Tyrrell , Dalziel , Hampshire  [Jack 77][t], Love . Subs not used – Smith and Renton
Referee – Craig Charleston                         Assistants – Graham Chambers and Andy Tait


Date Time League Season Full Time
December 6, 2008 3:00 pm SPFL Ladbrokes League 1 2008/2009 90'


Shielfield Park
2 Greenwood, Tweedmouth, Berwick-upon-Tweed TD15 2EB, UK


Club1st Half2nd HalfGoalsOutcome