Match Report

Stenhousemuir v East Fife


Irn-Bru League Division Two   
    Att 645
Stenhousemuir 1 [Scullion 5]            East Fife 1 [Muir 43]
The first home league match of the season was an eagerly awaited affair and after the previous week’s match against Stirling Albion it was going to be interesting to see how the Warriors could build on that performance. There was one change to the starting eleven with Chris McLeod coming back in after suspension replacing Andy Brand who had had a fine performance in an unfamiliar role at Stirling.
Games against East Fife these days always to be affected by the weather conditions and this proved to be no exception with a strong wind causing problems for both teams throughout the match.
Stenhousemuir started the game positively and almost scored after only 2 minutes when Scott Dalziel just failed to get on the end of a Kevin Motion freekick. The Warriors faithful did not have to wait long before the opening goal as Pat Scullion struck with a stunning 35 yard freekick after 5 minutes.
Stenhousemuir continued to impress in the early stages and McLeod had an effort saved by East Fife keeper Michael Brown. As the game progressed the Fifers came back into it however and despite Jonathon Smart almost scoring an own goal there was ominous signs as the game went on. In the latter stages of the half David Muir and Paul Nugent both went close to getting the equaliser before Muir eventually made the breakthrough in the 43rd minute heading a Stevie Crawford cross home.
East Fife continued to look the more threatening in the second half and Crawford and Muir both coming close with efforts. Stenhousemuir almost snatched the lead in the 72nd minute when a Scullion corner was misjudged by the keeper and fell to Kevin Motion at the back post but he could only head the ball wide from close range. The introduction of Iain Diack brought fresh impetus to the home attack and he almost made an instant impact when he saw an effort from a tight angle go just the wrong side of the post. With three minutes left the Warriors struck the crossbar when Diack met a flick on from a Motion freekick but it would not have counted as the flag went up for offside. A minute later Diack released Dalziel into space and it looked as if he would score the winner. He stroked the ball over the keeper but could not keep the shot down and it also hit the bar.
The Fifers almost scored a winner in the dying seconds but took the wrong option in the box and the danger was cleared.
Thus the final whistle went with honours even but after the start and finish the Warriors could count themselves unlucky though they will hopefully have taken on board that they need to be consistent throughout the game and not in bursts.
Stenhousemuir – McCluskey, Lyle [b57], S.Thomson, Thom, Smith, McLeod, Molloy, Scullion [b33], Dalziel, O’Reilly [Diack 77] and Motion.
Subs not used – Brand, Love, I.Thomson and Bennett
East Fife – Brown, Nugent Ovenstone, Fagan [b44], Smart, S.Thomson, Linn, Muir, Crawford, Young and Campbell.
Subs not used – Staunton, Conway, Cargill, D.Thomson and Baillie.
Referee – Thomas Robertson    
Assistants – John Gilmour and John McCrossan.


Date Time League Season Full Time
August 15, 2009 3:00 pm SPFL Ladbrokes League 1 2009/2010 90'


Ochilview Park Stenhousemuir


Club1st Half2nd HalfGoalsOutcome