Match Report


Stenhousemuir v Forfar Athletic at Ochilview Park, Stenhousemuir on 5.2.11
Irn Bru Scottish Second Division                   Att 504
Stenhousemuir 0 Forfar Athletic 1 [Bolochoweckyj 14]
After the disappointment of defeat and the manner of it at both Ayr and Stranraer several changes were made to the team. Ally Brown took over the number 1 jersey from Chris McCluskey, a now fit Scott Gibb came in for Gary Thom, Simon Lynch made his first start to his Stenhousemuir career and finally Eric Paton was one of two players on trial. For Paton this was his second appearance under the trialist banner. On the bench was the other trialist Lewis Sloan who had signed but not in time for the papers to be registered. Sloan had previously played for Annan Athletic.
The Warriors had the first chance of the game when Stevie Murray intercepted the ball in midfield and played the ball behind defender Jamie Bishop who struggled with the bounce and Scott Dalziel latched onto it. The striker hit a decent shot but Forfar keeper Scott Gallagher managed to parry the effort away.
The main worry recently for manager David Irons has been how easy it has been for the opposition to score from set pieces and this was to be the case once again when the Lonns took the lead in the 14th minute. A Martin Fotheringham free kick was headed home by Michael Bolochoweckyj who had all the time and space in the world to pick his spot.
This was to be Fotheringham’s last meaning contribution for Forfar as four minutes later he was sent off by referee Thomas Robertson who took umbrage at comments that were directed towards him.
Ross Clark almost equalised in the 25th minute when an inswinging corner kick was missed by Gallagher but just went the wrong side of the far post. Three minutes later a Paton freekick picked out Lynch but his effort struck the side netting.
Forfar were allowing Stenhousemuir possession in soft areas but were attacking when they could and a burst from Dale Hilson took his through the heart of the home defence before tumbling in the box. The referee endeared himself even more to the Forfar support by waiving away claims for a penalty and instead booked Hilson for simulation.
The closest that Stenhousemuir came to equalising in the first half came from a goalmouth scramble in 40 minutes after Forfar struggled to clear a Murray cross. Lynch managed to prod the ball forward but from only 4 yards missed the target.
The half ended with Forfar showing their intent and Ally Brown had to make a decent save from a Chris Templeman freekick to stop the big man scoring.
The second half started slowly for Stenhousemuir and it was Forfar who caused the greater threat with Bolochoweckyj heading over the bar as the lessons of the first goal seem to have been forgotten.
Paton had a thunderous long range effort pushed out by Gallagher in the 61st minute and in a swift counter attack Ross Campbell almost scored his effort drifting wide of the post.
Two minutes later Murray and Alex Williams combined to set up Lynch but once again his he missed the target. This was followed by an Iain Thomson effort that was saved comfortably by Gallagher.
Despite having the extra man advantage there was little to show for it and Forfar continued to threaten at set pieces and an Iain Campbell corner was scrambled off the line.
In the dying minutes Stenhousemuir pushed more players up into attack but in the main the build up was too predictable though Williams did have a shot saved by the keepers legs and Lyle headed over after a Murray cross had eluded everyone.
In the end though Forfar held on as Stenhousemuir slumped to defeat for the second match running against a team with fewer personnel on the pitch for the majority of the game.
This was to be the last game that Paton played as a trialist as he was signed on prior to the next fixture.
Stenhousemuir – Brown, Lyle, Dickson, Gibb, Smith, I.Thomson [Anderson 75], Clark [Sloan 51][t], Lynch, Dalziel [Williams 58], Paton [t] and Murray.
Subs not used – Thom and McCluskey
Forfar Athletic – Gallagher, Ross, McCulloch, Bolochoweckyj, Bishop, I.Campbell [Mowatt 88], R.Campbell [Gibson 77], Fotheringham [so 18], Templeman [Sellars 82] Hilson [b33] and Deasley
Referee – Thomas Robertson             
Assistants – Andy McWilliam and Paul Wedlock

Warriors TV


Date Time League Season Full Time
February 5, 2011 3:00 pm SPFL William Hill League 1 2010/11 90'


Ochilview Park Stenhousemuir


Club1st Half2nd HalfGoalsOutcome



Past Meetings