Match Report


Arbroath v Stenhousemuir at Gayfield Park, Arbroath on 6.3.10
Irn Bru Scottish Second Division                 Att 458
Arbroath 1 [Redman 9 ] Stenhousemuir 1 [Motion pen 24]
For the third time in eight days the Warriors drew one all but unlike the previous occasions when it felt like a missed opportunity this game saw them grimly hold on for a point at the end of the game after the dismissal of two players.
Stenhousemuir made one change to the starting eleven with Pat Scullion replacing Darren Smith but with a still extensive injury list there were few options to freshen the team up.
The game looked to get off to a calamitous start when Arbroath were awarded a penalty in only the 5th minute of the game when Stephen Thomson brought down Jamie Redman in the box. Steve Hislop failed to convert the spot kick though with a poor attempt that was well saved by Chris McCluskey. The Warriors also celebrated their let off with a goal at the other end with Scott Dalziel heading a cross from Gary Thom just past the post.   Arbroath went ahead in the 9th minute when Redman took advantage of poor marking to drill a Gerry McLaughlin cross low into the net. Stenhousemur acted positively and Scullion managed to get an effort on goal from what looked a lost cause that Darren Hill scrambled out for a corner. The resultant series of corners caused havoc in the home defence but the closest that the Warriors came to equalising was a Scullion header from close range that was deflected wide. It was Scullion once again in the 16th minute that created a goal scoring chance when he fought his way through the home defence but after all his good work in creating the opening the final shot was not of the same quality and was comfortably saved.
The Warriors did eventually get the equaliser in the 24th minute from the penalty mark after Kevin Motion converted despite Hill getting a hand to the spot kick that had followed Motion being fouled by Ewan Moyes.
Arbroath would have felt that they should have taken the lead again just after the half hour when Alan Rattray rose to head a Kenny McLean free kick but Rattray’s effort went just the wrong side of the post.
Just before half time there was controversy at the other end when Moyes stopped a Scott Dalziel run illegally just as he was bursting into the danger area for what would have been a goal scoring opportunity but Moyes was only cautioned for the professional foul.
The home side started the second period in positive fashion with Stevie Hislop in particular looking to make amends for his earlier penalty miss. He forced McCluskey into action in the 47th minute when a powerful run ended with a well struck effort that was saved by the keeper. A couple of minutes later Hislop hit a long range effort that looked to be curling in until McCluskey brought off a superb one handed save. If it had went in it would have been one of the goals of the seson instead it was one of the saves of the season.
Stenhousemuir were not creating the same opportunities as in the first half but Willie Lyle almost snatched the lead for them in the 70th minute when a diagonal effort curled just the wrong way at the end and sneaked past the post with Hill stranded.
In the 74th minute the Warriors were reduced in numbers when Iain Thomson was dismissed for his second caution. He had been booked early in the game and had tread a fine line after that and although the second caution was for an innocuous tackle it came as no surprise especially as the referee seemed to be swayed by the partisan noise from the crowd. If that was not bad enough Stenhousemuir were reduced to nine men after a rash Willie Lyle tackle on Callum Booth with six minutes remaining and this lead to an uncomfortable few minutes before the referee finally brought proceedings to a halt.
Arbroath – Hill, McLaughlin, Booth [b39], Moyes [b44], Rattray, Redman, Doris, Gibson, Jackson [Lunan 75], Hislop and McLean.
Subs not used – McMullan, Ross, McCulloch and Morrison
Stenhousemuir – McCluskey, Lyle [so 84], S.Thomson [b76], Gibb, McLeod [b43], Thom, Love [Quinn 72][b84], I.Thomson [b 16][so 74], Dalziel [Diack 70], Scullion and Motion.
Subs not used – Peebles, Dickson and Bennett
Referee – Steven McLean          
Assistants – Raymond Whyte and Graham Beaton


Date Time League Season Full Time
March 6, 2010 3:00 pm SPFL Ladbrokes League 1 2009/2010 90'


Gayfield Park, Arbroath


Club1st Half2nd HalfGoalsOutcome