Match Report


Dumbarton v Stenhousemuir at Strathclyde Homes Stadium on 15.01.11
Irn Bru Scottish Second Division                      Att 490
Dumbarton 0 Stenhousemuir 1 [Dalziel 90]
The Warriors kept the same starting eleven from their Scottish Cup triumph against Threave earlier in the week for this bottom of the league clash against Dumbarton.
Buoyed up by that victory Stenhousemuir took the initiative in the early stages in the game with Ross Clark having a couple of shots blocked in the 3rd minute of the game. This was followed by another Clark effort that was well saved by Stephen Grindlay.
There was a scare at the other end a minute later when a long ball was picked up by trialist Pat Walker who held off his marker before firing just wide of the target. There was another let off in the 9th minute when Derek Carcary fired just wide after being played through by Alan Cook.
The Warriors were still causing problems and should have scored in the 21st minute. A long ball by Chris McCluskey was picked up by Alex Williams and a clever back heal to Scott Dalziel left the striker with only the keeper to beat but once again Grindlay proved up to the task.
Dumbarton responded with a long range effort from Carcary that whistled just over the bar. The play moved up the other end and Stevie Murray went down in the box after being played through by Dalziel but any award would have been soft in the extreme as referee John Beaton appeared to make the correct decision.
Dumbarton’s Kieran Brannan should have done better with an effort at the back post before Carcary was denied by a well timed block.
Stenhousemuir however should have went into the interval one goal to the good when Grant Anderson with only the keeper to beat saw Grindlay stop his effort with his legs.
As the second half progressed the weather worsened with strong winds and heavy rain to the fore which made it difficult for both teams to play constructive football. Dalziel saw an effort cleared off the line from a Murray cross. At the other end  McCluskey was called into action to prevent Dumbarton taking the lead.
At the other end Jordan Smith almost sneaked the ball into the net from a prone position firing marginally wide of the target in the 68th minute.
With the game in the final stages McCluskey brought off a fine one handed stop from Mark Gilhaney and this was followed shortly afterwards a Andy Geggan effort that whistled just wide.
Dumbarton came even closer as the game entered stoppage time as Sean Dickson cleared an effort off the line following a goalmouth scramble. The ball was then dispatched to the other end and Grant Plenderleith used his speed to good effect to create an opening that eventually ended with Scott Dalziel firing into the net to give Stenhousemuir victory.
Once again the Warriors showed spirit and determination to the end and the last few seconds could be pivotal in the Warrior’s and Dumbarton’s league campaigns as the Warriors would have been bottom of the table if it has not been for Dickson’s clearance instead of being 5 points ahead of the Sons.
Stenhousemuir – McCluskey, Lyle, Dickson [b 20], Thom [b 6], Smith, I.Thomson, Anderson [Motion 80], Clark
Williams [ Plenderleith 71] Dalziel and Murray. Subs not used – Scullion, Quinn and Brown

Dumbarton – Grindlay Devlin Lindsay Nugent McNiff Cook [b 72] Brannan [Gilhaney h/t] Geggan Carcary [Campbell 80] McLeish [McStay 61] and Walker. Subs not used – Gordon and White

Referee – John Beaton           Assistants – Tommy Johnston and Martin McCarthy


Warriors TV


Date Time League Season Full Time
January 15, 2011 3:00 pm SPFL Ladbrokes League 1 2010/2011 90'


Strathclyde Homes Stadium, Dum


Club1st Half2nd HalfGoalsOutcome