Match Report


Stenhousemuir v Stranraer at Ochilview Park , Stenhousemuir on 18.01.11
Scottish Cup Fourth Round                     Att 405
Stenhousemuir 0 Stranraer 0
After the victory against Dumbarton in the league on the Saturday it was the same starting eleven that was picked for this Scottish Cup tie against Stranraer. Although Stranraer are a Third Division team this game was not going to be easy one as Stranraer were top of their division and were also unbeaten on their travels. Since the draw was made the management team of ex-Warriors Keith Knox and Stevie Aitken had watched Stenhousemuir closely and had a fair idea of what to expect.
Stenhousemuir were on a high after their stoppage time winner at Dumbarton and certainly in the early stages looked to continue the momentum from that game. The opening moments of the game saw Stranraer bombarded as the Warriors applied the pressure. Grant Anderson saw an effort go just over the bar in the opening flurry of play and this was followed shortly afterwards by a well executed Ross Clark shot that was tipped over the bar by David Mitchell. Anderson had another attempt just wide after good linkage between himself and Willie Lyle as the Warriors continued to press forwards. A Scott Agnew free kick in 16 minutes that saw no takers was the first real threat that the Blues had made before the play was transferred to the other end and Alex Williams seemed to have eluded his marker but Lee Sharp eventually recovered and made a timely tackle as the striker was about to shoot. Stranraer began to come more into the game as it progressed and Danny Mitchell had a couple of efforts saved by Chris McCluskey though they were fairly routine stops. McCluskey made a crucial save from ex-Warrior Paul Murphy in 38 minutes who saw his header from only 6 yards out nestle in McCluskey’s hands. At the other end David Mitchell proved his worth by clearing the danger with a well aimed punch as the keeper once again looked comfortable against the high ball.
The 53rd minute should have been when Stenhousemuir took the lead when Stevie Murray was picked out on the left but his attempt with his right foot squeaked just past the far post with the keeper stranded. Stranraer were more of a threat than the first half though and Gary Thom with a top class interception from Armand One and another interception by Thom with a brave diving header kept the Blues at bay.
In between these interceptions the Warriors had another good chance to score when Scott Dalziel beat Murphy with ease before playing the ball back to Kevin Motion but the substitute saw his effort go wide of the target.
As the game progressed it was Stranraer who growing in confidence made most of the chances and they were unlucky to see a glancing header by Sean Winter go just the wrong side of the post in the 80th minute with McCluskey scrambling to get across.
In the last minute of the game Stuart Malcolm had an effort that flashed just over and thus the tie finished without any scoring and a replay that neither team wanted beckoned.
For a no score draw this was an entertaining match with both teams probably going away thinking that they could have won it. Certainly Stenhousemuir had the chances in the opening stages to create a decent lead but Stranraer will have felt that they were on top in the latter stages and had opportunities to finish the match at the first attempt.
Stenhousemuir – McCluskey, Lyle, Dickson, Thom, Smith, I.Thomson [b87], Anderson [b44], Clark [Motion 64], Williams [Plenderleith 75], Dalziel [Quinn 83] and Murray. Subs not used – Scullion and Brown
Stranraer – David Mitchell [b78], G.Gallagher, Sharp, Murphy, McAuliffe [McColm 66], Agnew, One [b73][ Moore 75], Danny Mitchell [b43], Malcolm, Winter and Noble. Subs not used – G.Mitchell, Cochrane and Marshall
Referee – David Somers           Assistants – Francis Andrews and Craig Young

Warriors TV


Date Time League Season Full Time
January 18, 2011 7:45 pm William Hill Scottish Cup 2010/2011 90'


Ochilview Park Stenhousemuir


Club1st Half2nd HalfGoalsOutcome