Match Report


Berwick Rangers v Stenhousemuir at Shielfield Park, Berwick on 13.11.12

William Hill Scottish Cup Third Round Replay                    Att 402

Berwick Rangers 2 [Currie 10 pen, Lavery 66] Stenhousemuir 5 [Smith 39,85, Gemmell 48, Kean 52,55]

Stenhousemuir went into this replay grateful that they had another chance after their poor performance in the first meeting of the clubs where Berwick should have progressed but failed to make the most of their opportunities.

Since that match the draw for the next round had been made and the Warriors knew that if they won they would have a local derby against Falkirk in the fourth round.

Stenhousemuir had to make a couple of enforced changes to the team that had played Ayr on the Saturday as Kevin McKinlay was suspended after his dismissal in the original cup tie and Hearts were reluctant to allow loan player Brad McKay to be cup tied in case he was needed by Hearts at a later stage of the competition.  This meant that there was a shuffling of the pack in defence with Brown Ferguson returning though in an unfamiliar right back position with Iain Thomson in central defence and Greg Ross right back.

The game kicked off 15 minutes later as the Stenhousemuir team bus had been caught in gridlock on the way to Berwick and they were unable to get the usual preparations in place before the game kicked off. Indeed they only arrived 15 minutes before the scheduled kick off. The team were sluggish at the start and they were punished in the 10th minute when Steven Notman was fouled by Craig Anderson following  a goalmouth tussle and Lee Currie converted the spot kick. It took a while for Stenhousemuir to recover from this setback and indeed Berwick probably felt that they should have added to their tally as the half progressed.

Slowly though Stenhousemuir began to gain more possession without really creating many clear cut chances. It was a surprise then when they equalised in the 39th minute.  A short free kick by Bryan Hodge to Sean Dickson was played down the middle of the park and Darren Smith nipped in ahead of Bejaoui to head home. A minute later Stewart Kean saw a powerful drive saved unconvincingly by Bejaoui.

The second half started well for Stenhousemuir as they took the lead in the 48th minute when a curling Dickson effort was parried out to John Gemmell who headed home. Berwick were now on the back foot and they conceded a third in the 52nd minute when Stewart Kean prodded home from Three feet. Minutes later the Warriors extended the lead when Kean scored his second after a Brown Ferguson corner found him at the back post. The home side were shaken by this and it looked as if the Warriors were going to run riot at this stage. Berwick did get a lifeline though in the 65th minute when Iain Thomson lost possession and Darren Lavery took full advantage to bear down on goal and dispatch the ball past Robbie Thomson. This meant that the closing stages of the game were more nervous than they could have been though the Warriors were still creating the better opportunities against a less than comfortable Berwick defence.

The Borderers chances of a comeback though were extinguished in the 85th minute when a quickly taken free kick by Sean Dickson was rolled into the path of Darren Smith who passed the ball into the net as the Warriors went nap.

Berwick’s woes were compounded before the end as they were reduced in numbers when Lee Currie was sent off for his second caution of the game. There was no further scoring though Kean came very close to getting his hat trick on a couple of occasions before the final whistle.

Berwick Rangers – Bejaoui, Jacobs [Gielty 82], Hoskins, Brydon, Townsley, Currie [b60][so 86], Notman, Janczyk [McDonald 56], Lavery, Noble [Ferguson 56]and Gray. Subs not used – McLean and McCaldon

Stenhousemuir – R.Thomson, Ferguson, Ross, I.Thomson, McMillan, Hodge [Brash 90], Smith [O’Grady 87], C.Anderson, Gemmell [Rodgers 60], Kean and Dickson

Referee – Paul Robertson            Assistants – Brian Templeton and Jordan Stokoe


Date Time League Season Full Time
November 13, 2012 7:45 pm William Hill Scottish Cup 2012/2013 90'


Shielfield Park, Berwick


Club1st Half2nd HalfGoalsOutcome