Match Report


Stenhousemuir v Dumbarton at Ochilview Park, Stenhousemuir on 11.02.12
Irn Bru Scottish Second Division               Att 539
Stenhousemuir 1 [Smith 76]        Dumbarton 2 [Lithgow 35, Prunty 42]
There are some games that are instantly forgettable and others that are talked about long after the match has taken place. This game will certainly be in the latter category though there are few memories to take from it.
Stenhousemuir started brightly and had a strong claim for a penalty turned down when Brown Ferguson was impeded whilst trying to jump for the ball but no award was forthcoming. These incidents sometimes result in penalties and probably should be more often that they are, but it was understandable that it was turned down so early in the game whether it is right or not.
If that left the home supporters frustrated there was a lot worse to come in the 10th minute when Paul Walker got in front Ross McMillan and subsequently looked to be fouled by the defender. That was certainly the interpretation made by the referee who felt that McMillan had stopped a goal scoring opportunity. Walker still had a bit to do but the referee’s decision is final and McMillan was sent off. Before the restart David Irons was sent to the stand after he vented his frustrations to the assistant referee. 
Three minutes later Brown Ferguson was caught by an elbow by Martin McNiff that saw the Warrior leave the field with a head injury that brought his game to an end.  McNiff was booked as was Andy Rodgers for giving his thoughts on the subject.
Despite the numerical advantage it was not until the 27th minute before Dumbarton created their first real chance when Tony Wallace fired over the bar. As the game progressed the Stenhousemuir players became more and more frustrated and Willie Lyle was booked before kicking the post, before Kevin McKinlay was red carded in the 32nd minute for his second caution when he bounced the ball away after he failed to get a foul. This was a silly booking and left the home side with a major headache for the rest of the game.
This proved to be too much for the home side and the visitors took the lead in the 35th minute when Alan Lithgow met a Mark Gilhaney corner and headed into the net. The game was effectively put out of reach when a miss hit effort by Brian Prunty took a deflection off Michael Devlin and went over Ally Brown and into the net.
The home side returned from the break well organised to combat the expected onslaught, At times they had a charmed life with Dumbarton squandering several chances to improve their goal difference. They were also up against a keeper in Ally Brown who made several saves that were inspired to say the least.
Stenhousemuir were proving to be a threat on the break and they were rewarded for their efforts in the 76th minute when Gary Smith made room for himself before firing a shot past Stephen Grindlay and into the net.
This gave the home side a lift and they tried their best to get on level terms and Dumbarton were probably grateful to hear the final whistle. In the end the defeat meant that Dumbarton drew level with Stenhousemuir although the second half was a brave attempt to rescue something from a bad day at the office the bottom line is that it was yet another home defeat and three points lost in the battle for the play-offs.
Stenhousemuir – Brown, Lyle [b22], McKinlay [b19][so 32], Devlin, McMillan [so 10], Thomson [b90], Ferguson [McHale 13], Rodgers [b13] [Campbell 74], Kean, Paton [Smith 67] and Dickson. Subs not used – Lawson and Campbell
Dumbarton – Grindlay, Finnie, Creaney [Lamont 62], Nugent, Lithgow, McNiff [b13], Gilhaney, Wallace, Prunty, Agnew and Walker [Graham 62]. Subs not used – Borris, Kennedy and Gastal
Referee – John Beaton   Assistants – Raymond Whyte and Rodney Marshall

Warriors TV


Date Time League Season Full Time
February 11, 2012 3:00 pm SPFL Ladbrokes League 1 2011/2012 90'


Ochilview Park Stenhousemuir


Club1st Half2nd HalfGoalsOutcome