Match Report


Stenhousemuir v Brechin City at Ochilview Park, Stenhousemuir 22.10.11                                    Irn Bru Scottish Second Division                                   Att 681                                                                     Stenhousemuir 1 [Dickson 40] Brechin City 1 [King 28 pen]
Although the Warriors extended their unbeaten home record this season there was a large feeling of disappointment that they only drew with Brechin City. The Glebe Parkers have started the season slowly and came into the game at the wrong end of the table and appeared to be struggling with confidence despite having a decent squad of players.
The Warriors welcomed Eric Paton back to the starting eleven after injury had kept him out last week and Kevin McKinlay returned to the squad as he too began to get back after his shoulder injury.
In the early stages of the game Stenhousemuir dominated and could have been several goals ahead. Indeed in the first minute Andy Rodgers saw a glancing header saved by Craig Nelson. This was followed shortly afterwards by a blindside run by Brown Ferguson that Scott Smith picked up late but was just in time to clear the danger for a corner. It was taken by Stevie Murray and met by Ross McMillan whose header crashed off the bar with Nelson beaten. Murray supplied Stewart Kean in the 17th minute but his headed effort drifted just wide of the post with Rodgers unlucky not to get on the end of it. Brechin were struggling to get into the game and Nelson had to come to their rescue twice in quick succession. First of all he had to make a one handed save when Murray whipped in a free kick and then brought off a magnificent save from a Paton free kick that was very similar to the effort he scored with at Falkirk earlier in the season. Brechin’s first real threat came in the 26th minute when Paul McManus got behind the home defence but Chris McCluskey was quick to react and the effort was blocked before being eventually cleared. A minute later Brechin were given a golden opportunity to take the lead when Bryan Hodge was pulled back in the box and a penalty awarded. Charlie King stepped up and dispatched the ball into the net to make it 1-0 for the Angus side. Hodge was again the centre of attention in the 35 minute but this time in a negative way. He went into a tackle on Paton with studs showing and was dismissed by referee Bryan Colvin. Paton was able to resume after lengthy treatment. In the 38th minute a Paton effort looked to be going wide but was diverted by Rodgers who steered the ball goalwards only to see his effort saved by a top class instinctive save by Nelson who was having one of his best games for some time. He was powerless in the 40th minute though when Sean Dickson was picked out by a raking pass by Paton and drilled a sweet 25 yard shot into the top corner for another entry in the goal of the season competition. In the 42nd minute a dipping Rodgers shot from a Kean chest down went just over the bar. Just before the end of the half Ross McMillan was injured and it took the full length of the half time interval to get him back on the field though he was eventually replaced by Kevin McKinlay.
Hopes were high that Stenhousemuir could use their man advantage in the second half to go on and win the game but Brechin upped their game and stood solid throughout the rest of the game. Despite Stenhousemuir having the bulk of the possession they created few clear cut opportunities and although they had a clear cut penalty turned down when Murray was tripped in the 73rd minute. Brechin could have snatched victory in the 79th minute when Graham Weir picked out McManus 8 yards out but he failed to make clean contact and his effort was hit into the ground before being clutched by McCluskey.
Stenhousemuir did have a couple of chances after this but first of all Rodgers his the side netting with his effort and then Paul Quinn sclaffed a shot wide in time added on.
Stenhousemuir will rarely have had a better chance to break the hex that Brechin seem to have on them as it is now no wins for Stenhousemuir in the last 14 attempts.    
Stenhousemuir – McCluskey, Lyle [b27], Dickson, Corrigan, McMillan [McKinlay 61], Thomson [Quinn 83], Ferguson, Rodgers, Kean, Paton and Murray. Subs not used – McCafferty, Fraser and Brown
Brechin City – Nelson, McLean, Smith, Buist, Dunlop, Janczyk, Molloy [McClune 84], Fusco, McManus [Crawford 89], King [Weir 75] and Hodge [so35]. Subs not used – McKenna and Scott
Referee – Brian Colvin    Assistants – Andy Tait and Joseph Lawson           

Warriors TV


Date Time League Season Full Time
October 22, 2011 3:00 pm SPFL Ladbrokes League 1 2011/2012 90'


Ochilview Park Stenhousemuir


Club1st Half2nd HalfGoalsOutcome