Match Report

Forfar Athletic v Stenhousemuir at Station Park, Forfar on 20.08.11                                                                 Irn Bru Scottish League Second Division               Att   372                                                                                   Forfar Athletic 2 [Templeman 55, Mowat 57] Stenhousemuir 3 [Ferguson 22, Kean 25, Thomson 62]

Forfar Athletic – McHugh, Ross, I.Campbell [b90], Hegarty [Mowat 52], Bishop, Bolochoweckyj [b60], Fotheringham [b83], Templeman [R.Campbell 65], Crawford, McCulloch and Byers [Gibson 65]. Subs not used – Wilson and Paterson
Stenhousemuir – McCluskey, Lyle, Dickson, Corrigan, McKinlay, McHale, Ferguson [Thomson 52], Rodgers [b90], Kean [Fraser 75], Paton [b26] and Murray [McMillan 87]. Subs not used – Quinn and Brown
Referee – Mike Tumilty               Assistants – Gary Cheyne and Ross McIntyre
This was a game that the Warriors dominated the first half of the game and if they had taken their chances could and should have had the game won by the end of that period. Nevertheless they had a two goal lead for the start of the second half which was just as well as they conceded two goals soon after the resumption before showing spirit to get back into the lead and to hold onto it till the end of the game for a well deserved victory.
Stenhousemuir started with the same eleven that took the field against Arbroath and soon got into their rhythm. Within the first 5 minutes of the game Andy Rodgers had an effort saved by Adam McHugh and in quick succession there were a couple of half chances when Brown Ferguson just failed to meet a Rodgers flick on, then Stewart Kean missed a cross when a touch would have been a goal. Forfar though could and should have taken the lead in the 6th minute when Michael Bolochoweckyj fired over the bar from only 8 yards out. The play was predominately at the other end of the field though and Kean missed the target with only the keeper to beat when he breached the offside trap to run on to a Ferguson pass. This was followed swiftly by a Rodgers overhead kick that drifted just wide and a Ferguson effort into the side netting. Eventually the Warriors took the lead in the 22nd minute. An Eric Paton corner was pushed out by McHugh to Paul McHale who chipped the ball back into the danger area and Brown Ferguson headed home. Three minutes later the Warriors were two goals up. Once again Forfar failed to execute the offside trap properly and Rodgers won the ball out wide. He managed to get his cross to the back post where Stewart Kean bundled the ball home despite the desperate attempt by Iain Campbell to head clear from only a foot off the ground.
Forfar did respond to these setbacks and a Campbell cross fell to Greg Ross but his effort was deflected for a corner by Kevin McKinlay from which Chris Templeman headed wide. A swift one touch passing move by the Warriors ended with McHugh making a brave save at the feet of Ferguson in the 35th minute before Chris McCluskey stopped a Stevie Crawford effort with his feet a minute later.
Forfar with the words of their manager ringing in their ears came out fighting in the second half and there was an early warning when Chris Hegarty’s effort was cleared off the line by Sean Dickson. Templeman scored for the Loons in the 55th minute when he took advantage of slack marking to head home from a corner kick. Two minutes later they were back level when David Mowat dispossessed Eric Paton on the edge of the box and thundered a shot into the net. Stenhousemuir could have easily lost the game after that but they picked themselves up and took the lead once again in the 62nd minute when a Kean attempt struck the post and Iain Thomson was reacted first to fire the ball into the net. Stevie Crawford intercepted a poor passback but McCluskey made a brave save to deny the ex-Scotland striker.
As the game progressed chances became fewer with the Warriors content to hit on the break with Shaun Fraser who had been signed on loan from Partick doing a lot of spade work there were no further goals however and the final whistle blew with the visitors making the trip home with all three points.

Warriors TV


Date Time League Season Full Time
August 20, 2011 3:00 pm SPFL William Hill League 1 2011/12 90'


Station Park, Forfar


Club1st Half2nd HalfGoalsOutcome



Past Meetings