Match Report

 Stenhousemuir v Annan Athletic at Ochilview Park, Stenhousemuir -19/11/2011

William Hill Scottish Cup Third Round  -Att 602

    Stenhousemuir 4 [Kean [8], Rodgers [16, 21, 36] Annan Athletic 0

With Ross McMillan making a welcome return to the side Kevin McKinlay moved from central defence to the left side in what was an experienced side for the visit of Annan Athletic. This game was seen by many as a possible shock in the William Hill Scottish Cup as the ‘Galabankies’ are riding high at the top of the Third Division.
Maybe because of this the Warriors had a touch of nerves at the start of the match and David Cox who was a handful throughout the game almost sneaked a corner kick into the net with Ally Brown stopping the effort but without too much conviction. A minute later though the home side took the lead when Stewart Kean fired an effort low into the net after a lovely flicked pass by Andy Rodgers set him on his way. This goal settled Stenhousemuir down and they had a penalty claim turned down when an Annan defender stuck him arm out to deflect a cross away from the danger area. The resultant corner was just headed wide by Brown Ferguson. Stenhousemuir continued to cause problems and Iain Thomson struck a decent shot that was partially blocked by Jordan McKechie but still had to be saved by an alert Alex Mitchell in goals. The front line of Kean and Rodgers were causing major problems for the Annan defence and the second goal came in the 16th minute when Rodgers controlled a long ball just inside the box before wrong footing Aaron Muirhead and guiding the ball into the net from 10 yards.
Rodgers pretty much sealed the Warriors’ place in the fourth round with his second and his sides third after 21 minutes, volleying over his shoulder from the edge of the box and keeper Mitchell was rooted to the spot as the ball flashed past him on the way to the net,
If Rodgers’ second goal was something of a wonder, the third to complete his hat-trick in 36 minutes was no less spectacular. Gathering 28 yards out the striker unleashed a powerful left foot shot that looked goal bound as it left his foot and indeed it whistled past the helpless Mitchell into the top left corner. This was a stunning sequence of play for Stenhousemuir and before half time they almost went nap when another long pass by Thomson to Kean opened up the Annan defence once again but this time Mitchell was able to save the effort.
Annan to their credit continued to plug away and a Cox free kick almost drifted into the net but Brown was able to divert it for a corner.
At half time three substitutions were made, Brown Ferguson appeared to have jarred his back in the early stages and he was replaced by Sean Dickson, whilst Annan changed their central defensive partnership with Gary Wild and Kevin Neilson coming on for Scott Gibson and Peter Watson.
Cox was still working hard to get Annan back in the game and his perseverance won him a free kick in the 49th minute that he delivered into the box where Graeme Bell won a rare header but it went straight to the keeper. Michael McGowan, the ex Albion Rovers player, then had a shot tipped over but although Annan tried hard this was to be the last time that Ally Brown was called into action in the game. Dickson did well to beat the keeper in a challenge but his looping header went just over the bar. Kean had another effort pushed out for a corner and Thomson saw a shot dip just over. Stenhousemuir were still in command despite the pace dropping but the introduction of Grant Plenderleith gave an alternative attacking option. Annan had a miraculous escape following a Rodgers turn and shot that Kean somehow failed to convert, but nevertheless when the final whistle blew the Warriors took the plaudits for a professional performance with a score that did not flatter them
Stenhousemuir – Brown, Lyle, McKinlay, Corrigan, McMillan, Thomson, Ferguson [Dickson h/t], Rodgers, [Quinn 85],Kean, Paton and Murray [ Plenderleith 65]. Subs not used – McCafferty and McCluskey
Annan Athletic – Mitchell, Muirhead, McGowan, Gibson[ Neilson h/t],Watson [Wild h/t],McKechnie, Sloan, Jardine, O’Connor [Gilfillan 57],Bell and Cox. Subs not used – Summersgill and MacBeth.
Referee – John McKendrick         Assistants – Charlie Smith and Martin McCarthy

Warriors TV


Date Time League Season Full Time
November 19, 2011 3:00 pm William Hill Scottish Cup 2011/2012 90'


Ochilview Park Stenhousemuir


Club1st Half2nd HalfGoalsOutcome