Match Report

Stenhousemuir v Albion Rovers at Ochilview Park, Stenhousemuir on 26.11.11                                                     

Irn – Bru Scottish League Division Two Att. 561                                                                       

Stenhousemuir 3 [Kean 56, Rodgers 80,84] Albion Rovers 0

Although this game was played in horrendous conditions with gale force winds and spells of driving rain both teams should be applauded for their efforts to continued playing football throughout.
The Warriors started with the wind at their backs and although this helped with any long range efforts it was certainly a hindrance in other ways as the forward line were unable to get any real possession as the ball continued to run away from them if the passes were made at straight angles down the pitch.
Nevertheless the home side had a chance to take the lead in the first minute when a Stevie Murray corner was flapped at by Derek Gaston but Stewart Kean was unable to convert the rebound. Stenhousemuir don’t always utilise the wind but they used it to their advantage with long range efforts by Kevin McKinlay and then Murray in quick succession.
Rovers caused a scare in 8 minutes when Steven Lawless beat Willie Lyle at the by-line but his cross was scrambled clear by Sean Dickson. Brown Ferguson then had an effort just wide before Rovers threatened again and once again it was Dickson who came to the rescue to stop Scott Chaplain scoring.   Ferguson then hit a fizzer at the other end that Gaston punched clear and the keeper was called upon once again to tip an Eric Paton effort over the bar. There was a scare for Stenhousemuir in the 32nd minute when a cross from the left hit the top of Ferguson’s head and Ally Brown did well to scramble the ball away for a corner. Albion Rovers will feel that they should have taken the lead in the 41st minute when Lawless crossed to John Gemmell but the forward flashed his drive just the wrong side of the upright. This would have been a decent reward for Rovers as they had adapted well to the conditions and in the latter stages of the first period were forcing the Warriors back and certainly creating the better chances.
Before half time there was an altercation between Andy Rodgers and Michael O’Byrne which could have resulted in both players being dismissed but the referee Mat Northcroft took a consolatory mood instead and tried to calm the players down. 
It was Stenhousemuir’s turn to be fighting into the wind in the second half and with the ball holding up it gave Rodgers and Kean a better chance to become involved in the game. Gemmell came close once again with Brown managing to keep the ball out scrambling across goal to make a save.
The Warrior’s took the lead in the 56th minute when Rodgers flicked the ball behind the Rovers defence for Kean to latch onto and he smashed the ball into the net via the post with Gaston helpless. He almost got his second on the hour when he almost chested a Dickson cross in. Alan Reid showed that Rovers were still fighting with an effort from almost the halfway line that Brown had to save. In the 73rd minute the game exploded when there was a reaction to a tackle by a Rovers player and a number of players were involved in the resulting melee. It took the referee a long time after consultation with his assistant to caution just two players. A minute later a Lyle tackle on Lawless saw the Warrior booked along with another Rovers player as the game threatened to get ugly. Gemmell had a 35 yard effort tipped over minutes later and this was followed by an O’Bryne attempt that was cleared off the line.
Stenhousemuir responded immediately and Brown picked out Kean with a long raking pass into the wind and the striker fired a shot that took a slight deflection before being pushed out for a corner by Gaston. From the resulting corner the Warriors extended their lead when Rodgers scoring with a glancing header despite the ball going behind him when he met it in the 80th minute. Four minutes later Kean held off two defenders as he judged the movement of the ball in the air and flicked it on for Rodgers who drove the ball into the net to put Stenhousemuir three up.
The score at this stage was harsh on Albion Rovers and they did their best to reduce it before the end and indeed Gemmell had the ball in the net in the 88th minute only to see it chalked off for offside and then Thomas Reilly caused problems with some decent play but Kevin McKinlay was able to force out for a corner.
All in all this was a decent performance by the Warriors who deserved their win but Albion Rovers showed that they are a decent side who will cause problems to all in the league. On a good day for Stenhousemuir there was even the chance for Paul McHale to make the first steps on the way to recovery as he came on as a late substitute   .  
Stenhousemuir – Brown, Lyle [b74], Dickson, Corrigan, McKinlay, Thomson [b14], Ferguson [McHale 85], Rodgers, Kean [Quinn 89], Paton [b73] and Murray [C.Hamilton 87]. Subs not used – McCafferty and McCluskey
Albion Rovers – Gaston, Reid, Donnelly [b74], Stevenson [b73], O’Byrne, Lumsden, Love [Reilly 78], McStay, Gemmell, Chaplain and Lawless. Subs not used – Marriott, Gilmartin, Scott and Trialist
Referee – Mat Northcroft           Assistants – Gary Sweeney and Duncan Smith

Warriors TV


Date Time League Season Full Time
November 26, 2011 3:00 pm SPFL Ladbrokes League 1 2011/2012 90'


Ochilview Park Stenhousemuir


Club1st Half2nd HalfGoalsOutcome