Match Report

East Fife v Stenhousemuir at New Bayview, Methil on 3.12.11

Irn Bru Scottish Second Division               Att 508
East Fife 1 [Linn 80] Stenhousemuir 3 [Kean 14, Rodgers 48, Quinn 90]
Methil in recent years has been a graveyard for Stenhousemuir managers but this was unlikely to be the case this time as the Warriors went into the game determined to keep their positive run going. The Warriors have been playing with confidence at home but have been unable to transfer this into the away games but were focused on rectifying this against one of the better teams in the league.
Stenhousemuir welcomed Ross McMillan back into the ranks and Kevin McKinlay moved to left back with Sean Dickson dropping to the bench as manager Davie Irons went for his most experienced side for this encounter. Stenhousemuir started on the attack and Andy Rodgers created a chance for Stewart Kean in only three minutes but he was denied by a strong tackle from an East Fife defender. It was a similar situation at the other end as minute later when an excellent ball by Ryan Wallace picked out Rob Ogleby but before he could pull the trigger Ross McMillan made a vital interception. After this East Fife were pegged back as Stenhousemuir camped in opposition territory and Brown Ferguson, Stevie Murray and Martyn Corrigan all had reasonable attempts on goal. Eventually the Warrior’s took the lead in the 14th minute of the game. Stewart Kean struck a miss-hit effort but Andy Rodgers was able to retrieve the situation by heading the ball back to Kean and this time the striker made no mistake thundering the ball past a helpless Mark Ridgers and into the net.
East Fife suffered another blow three minutes later when Ally Park had to be carried off after he fell awkwardly and when he twisted himself in the process it looked to be a bad one for the Fife player.
The Fifers had a rare chance to equalise in the 21st minute when John Ovenstone was picked out at the back post but the ex-Warrior failed to get on top of the cross and headed over the bar. This stung Stenhousemuir into action and Eric Paton had an effort that fizzed just wide before Kevin McKinlay should have done better with a header from a Murray corner but his effort went the wrong side of the post. David Muir had a close range header saved by Ally Brown before the play once again transferred to the other end and Ferguson saw another shot drift just wide. East Fife though were having their best spell of the half and Robert Sloan tested Brown with a free kick before the end of the half.
Stenhousemuir may have been nervous about how East Fife would respond in the second period but they were to settle almost immediately after the resumption when they went two up. Once again it was the Kean-Rodgers partnership that paid dividends. This time Kean was the provider holding off his marker despite being pulled back and picking out Rodgers run and he struck a first time shot into the net.    A minute later they rode their luck when McMillan and Brown came to the Warriors rescue in quick succession following a goalmouth scramble. East Fife did have the ball in the net in the 69th minute but referee Brian Winter had already blown his whistle for a foul on the keeper. The Fifers may have felt hard done by this decision but they kept chipping away and a long range effort by Ovenstone struck the base of the post and Wallace somehow put the rebound wide. Eventually the Methil men scored when Linn struck a low effort into the corner of the net with ten minutes left. This counter brought about a nervous period for the Warriors but they in the main stood firm. In the last minute of the game though they were able to settle their nerves when Paul Quinn drilled an effort low into the net to give Stenhousemuir an important two goal cushion that they were never going to give up..
East Fife – Ridgers, Durie, Ovenstone, Campbell, White, Muir, Linn, Smith [Hislop 86], Ogleby [McQuade 67], Wallace and Park [Sloan 17]. Subs not used – Johnstone and Brown
Stenhousemuir – Brown, Lyle, McKinlay, Corrigan, McMillan, Thomson, Ferguson, Rodgers [Quinn 55], Kean, Paton and Murray [Dickson 83]. Subs not used – McHale, C.Hamilton and McCluskey
Referee   Brian Winter   Assistants – Alan Mulvanny and David Lowe

Warriors TV


Date Time League Season Full Time
December 3, 2011 3:00 pm SPFL Ladbrokes League 1 2011/2012 90'


Bayview Stadium, Methil


Club1st Half2nd HalfGoalsOutcome