Match Report


Queen of the South v Stenhousemuir at Palmerston Park, Dumfries on 20.10.12

Irn Bru Scottish Second Division                             Att 1,531

Queen of the South 2 [Durnan 2, Clark 47] Stenhousemuir 2 [Gemmell 67, Ferguson 70 pen]

With Scot Buist and Ross McMillan both out of first team action it was a makeshift defence once again that was fielded by the Warriors. Lee Kilday was the focal point of what was originally a back three. The new look defence had not had time to settle before they found themselves a goal in arrears. Queen of the South started the game looking every bit the team that had won all home games this season in the league and took the lead in only the second minute when Danny Carmichael swung in a cross from the right that was headed home by the unmarked Mark Durnan.  Stenhousemuir appeared shaken by this early reverse and the home side came close on several occasions to extending their lead in the early stages. Robbie Thomson kept the score down with a couple of fine saves to deny Nicky Clark and Gavin Reilly. The Warriors were struggling and their passing game was practically non-existent as they were only picking up the odd scrap or two. From one of these though, they almost equalised. An Andy Rodgers shot was deflected for a corner and when it was swung into the danger area Kevin McKinlay’s effort was cleared off the line by Kevin Holt. Queen’s early attacking potency diminished as the half progressed though they were still the better team but they suffered a blow in the 45th minute when Derek Young was sent off for a tackle on Greg Ross. There was a feeling that the reaction of the Stenhousemuir players influenced the colour of card produced by referee Gary Hilland but as the player possibly had both feet off the ground it would have been deemed a dangerous tackle and hence Young’s dismissal.

The Doonhamers made two changes at half time but despite being down to ten men they continued to play an attacking game. It helped that Stenhousemuir started the second half as badly as the first and once again capitulated within two minutes. This time the scorer was Nicky Clark who was the beneficiary of being unmarked when a cross was swung into the danger area. After this the home side could and should have extended their lead and it looked as if it was Stenhouemuir were the team that were down to ten men. Robbie Thomson on a couple of occasions as in the first managing to keep the score down.

It was almost out of the blue that Stenhousemuir grabbed a lifeline. Not surprisingly the initial danger came from a set piece in this case a short corner involving Eric Paton. After Queens seemed to survive the initial danger when Stenhousemuir struck the woodwork but the ball then fell to Kilday who fired in a shot come cross that looked to be going wide when John Gemmell pounced and diverted the ball into the net. That goal in the 67th minute gave Stenhousemuir belief and they equalised in the 70th minute. Bryan Hodge picked the ball up on the touchline and ran across the 18 yard box only to be foolishly clipped by Paul Burns. The referee awarded the penalty and Brown Ferguson converted.

Queens were rocked by this but the introduction of Derek Lyle gave the home side some forward momentum and although Lyle himself squandered a golden opportunity to put them back in the lead he was unlucky to be denied on another occasion by a one handed save by Thomson.

With the game drawing to a close Kevin Holt was sent off for a wild tackle on John Gemmell and although the Stenhousemuir striker needed treatment it was more for his landing than contact. The tackle was reckless and unnecessary though.  Whilst Holt was being dismissed the referee spotted a blood injury for Queens player Chris Higgins and he was not allowed back on. This meant that Queens were reduced to 8 men for a lengthy period whilst the ball was in play and Stenhousemuir almost took full advantage but Craig Anderson fired over the bar from 10 yards out. It was only then that Higgins was allowed back on but before play resumed Queen of the South manager Allan Johnston was sent to the stand for comments made about the length of time it took for Higgins to get back into the action.   

The game ended shortly afterwards with the scores level a result that Stenhousemuir would have certainly taken when they were two goals down and they showed the fighting spirit that has kept them in good stead though the performance itself was not of the highest standard.

Queen of the South – Robinson, Mitchell, Holt [so 90], Higgins [b67], Young [so 44], Gibson [b44] [Orsi h/t], Burns, Reilly [McKenna h/t], Clark [Lyle 75] and Carmichael. Subs not used – McGuffie and Atkinson

Stenhousemuir – R.Thomson, Ross [b44], McKinlay [b75], Ferguson, Kilday, Hodge, C.Anderson, I.Thomson [Paton 58], Gemmell [b86], Kean and Rodgers [b50][Dickson 58].  Subs not used – Brash, O’Grady and Reidford.

Referee – Gary Hilland   Assistants – Frances Andrews and David McKniff

Warriors TV


Date Time League Season Full Time
October 20, 2012 3:00 pm SPFL Ladbrokes League 1 2012/2013 90'


Palmerston Park, Dumfries


Club1st Half2nd HalfGoalsOutcome