Match Report

 Forfar Athletic v Stenhousemuir at Station Park, Forfar on 3.3.12

Irn Bru Scottish Second Division               Att 374

Forfar Athletic 1 [Low 56]            Stenhousemuir 2 [Ferguson 12, Kean 53] 

The Warriors had two fresh faces in the starting eleven for this match against the Loons. Up front was Kenny Deuchar [31] who has signed on loan from Livingston until the end of the season and in midfield was a trialist Sean Fitzharris [20] who had been released by Morton at the start of February. Both players though lacking match fitness made valuable contributions to the side on the day.

Indeed Deuchar used all his experience to create the opening for the first goal as Forfar looked to play the offside trap the referee felt that he read the line and had stayed onside when the ball was released to him. He then hit a powerful strike that Greg Patterson could only parry out and Brown Ferguson reacted first to tuck the ball into the net. Forfar’s Greg Ross was cautioned for dissent as he obviously disagreed with the officials.

The goal was a welcome boost coming in the 12th minute as once again the team started slowly and could and probably be punished in the opening phase of the game. Forfar’s Dale Hilson had an effort blocked in the first minute and Chris Templeman should have taken advantage of a slip in the Warrior’s defence but his turn and shot just went past a minute later before Stenhousemuir woke up and Kevin McKinlay saw a shot deflected over the bar by Martin Fotheringham.

Stenhousemuir almost scored a second in the 16th minute when a Paul McHale corner just needed a touch but none was forthcoming. Deuchar then saw an effort go just wide despite having to stretch to get on the end of a Stewart Kean layoff. The Warriors were playing with more confidence as the game progressed and McKinlay struck a low free kick that the keeper was called upon to save at the base of the post. A minute later he was quick to react when Ferguson hit a decent shot from 30 yards. This was the last action for ‘Bomber’ though as he picked up an injury whilst shooting.

Stenhousemuir had other chances to extend their lead before the interval with Fitzharris setting up Kean whose effort was blocked and Deuchar shot wide. The Doc was on target in the 44th minute when Kean set him up but Patterson brought off a superb instinctive save to keep the score at only 1-0 for Stenhousemuir.


In the 53rd minute Stenhousemuir extended their lead when Fitzharris charged down a clearance before playing the ball into the danger area for Stewart Kean. With only the keeper to beat he made no mistake curling a drive into the top corner.

Forfar were stirred into action by this setback and scored in the 56th minute when a Greg Ross cross was played into the middle and Nicky Low reacted quickly to tuck the ball into the net.

After this Stenhousemuir were on the back foot for large spells of a game that was now being played in a rainstorm. Forfar struggled though to get behind a resolute and well organised Stenhousemuir though they did have a decent chance in the 63rd minute when Hilson got on the end of a Fotheringham cross but his header was comfortably saved by Ally Brown.

Stenhousemuir fought hard to maintain their lead and although there was a number of heavy legs on a pitch that was starting to take water in certain areas of the pitch they gave their all. Paul McHale who has been feeling his way back to form after injury typified this effort by a sliding block to stop a Low shot in the 76th minute.

The latter stages were nervy though as the referee didn’t seem keen to end the game but eventually after four minutes stoppage time he called proceedings to an end with Stenhousemuir victorious.

Forfar Athletic – Patterson, Ross [b12], I.Campbell, Hegarty [Byers 85], McCulloch, Mowat, Fotheringham, Templeman [b64] [Motion 85], Coyne [G.Gibson 76] Hilson and Low. Subs not used – Wilson and McCallum.

Stenhousemuir – Brown, Lyle, McKinlay, Thomson, McMillan [b88], McHale [b26][Rodgers 85], Ferguson [Paton 32], Fitzharris [Murray 62], Deuchar [b67], Kean and Lawson [b80]. Subs not used – Smith and Diamond

Referee – Mat Northcroft           Assistants – Michael Banks and David McKniff


Warriors TV


Date Time League Season Full Time
March 3, 2012 3:00 pm SPFL Ladbrokes League 1 2011/2012 90'


Station Park, Forfar


Club1st Half2nd HalfGoalsOutcome