Match Report

Peterhead v Stenhousemuir at Balmoor Stadium, Peterhead on 20.8.13

Ramsdens Cup Second Round                    Att 427

Peterhead 1 [Cox 23]     Stenhousemuir 3 [Gemmell 62, D.Smith 93, McNeil 120]

It was an unfamiliar looking Stenhousemuir side that took the field for this game, donning a maroon top and black shorts due to colour clashes. The defence also was different with Nicky Devlin suspended, Ross McMillan working and Kevin McKinlay injured. This meant that Alan Lawson sarted for the first time this season with Eddie Malone playing centre back and Brown F       erguson right back.

In the 6th minute of the game a long kick out by Chris Smith was not cleared properly and broke to John Gemmell who fired wide. Two minutes later there was action at the other end and a Brown volley fizzed just wide. Chris Smith then made a decent save to keep a Jamie Redman shot out. He was helpless though in the 23rd minute when the Blue Toon took the lead. David Cox taking full advantage of lax marking and after what seemed an eternity clipping a curled effort into the top corner of the net from the edge of the box. Apart from a Sean Dickson run that was brought to a sudden end when he was chopped down and a John Gemmell shot that was comfortably saved there were few signs of the Warriors getting back into the game before half time. Indeed the best chance fell to Peterhead’s Fraser McLaren who squandered a decent chance firing wide when he should really have tested the keeper.

Just after the restart the Warriors were forced into a change when Craig Anderson departed with a groin strain so once again the pack had to be shuffled. Peterhead could have went two up in the 52nd minute when a loose Darren Smith pass was intercepted by McLaren and he eventually swung a cross in for Jordan Brown who missed the target from close range.

The Warriors equalised in the 62nd minute with a goal that came out of the blue. David Cox hit a pass behind his own defence and John Gemmell was able to intercept before rounding the advancing keeper and tucking the ball into an empty net.

After this Stenhousemuir gradually began to exert more control in the game without really looking as if they would take the lead in the game. It looked as if the next goal would be the winner and Peterhead had the best chance to do so in time added on.

Ross Smith tripped McLaren after he got behind the Stenhousemuir defence and Mat Northcroft duly awarded a penalty and sent Smith off as well. Ryan Strachan took the spot kick hitting the ball low to the keepers left but Chris Smith saved the strike to become the hero of the day. There was no chance for further play before the referee blew for full time.

Although this gave Stenhousemuir an unexpected lifeline is was still an uphill task for the Warriors as they now had to play extra time a player short. Alan Lawson was subbed to allow Dan Nimmo to take the field in a centre back position for his club debut. Sean Dickson dropped back to left back. Despite the handicap the Warriors showed their mettle by taking the lead in the 93rd minute when a driven cross by John Gemmell was met by Darren Smith who tucked the ball past Graeme Smith. Sean Higgins then played Gemmell in after 100 minutes but the striker didn’t make clear contact and the shot went wide of the target.

Eventually Peterhead began to stretch the Stenhousemuir defence and they came close to equalising when a Brown effort was deflected just wide. The home side were vulnerable though to the counter attack and in the last minute the Warriors scored their third goal. Ross McNeil was the architect and finisher as he beat two defenders before rolling the ball past Smith and into the net.

This was another hard fought win for Stenhousemuir who showed the spirit and desire for victory despite a number of setbacks. There is a worrying trend though for finishing the game a man short as they had a player sent off for the fourth time this season. Nevertheless at the moment they will just be happy to progress to the third round and it would have certainly made the long journey home more bearable.

Peterhead – Smith, Sharp, Noble, Strachan [b26], Ross, Cowie [b35] [McGlinchey 70], Cox [Buchan 79][b117], Redman, McLaren, Brown [b81]and Gilfillan [McCann 79]. Subs not used – Richardson and Jarvie.

Stenhousemuir – C.Smith, Ferguson [Duncan 112], Lawson [Nimmo 90], R.Smith [B65][so 90], Malone, Anderson [McNeil 47], Dickson, Lynch [b90], Gemmell, Higgins and D.Smith. Subs not used – Douglas and Shaw.

Referee – Mat Northcroft            Assistants – Alastair Mather and Anthony Cooper

Warriors TV


Date Time League Season Full Time
August 20, 2013 7:45 pm Petrofac Training Cup 2013/14 90'


Balmoor Stadium, Peterhead


Club1st Half2nd HalfGoalsOutcome



Past Meetings