Match Report

Stenhousemuir v East Fife at Ochilview Park, Stenhousemuir on 16.2.13

Irn Bru Scottish Second Division                             Att 476

Stenhousemuir 2[Hodge 60,85]   East Fife 1 [McBride 55]

East Fife suffered a blow before the game when Steven Campbell had to be replaced by Scott McBride, that late change however did not seem to effect the Fifers too much as they were the more potent threat in the early stages. Within the first 50 seconds Callum Reidford was called into action to make a fine save from Paul McManus after he was picked out by a free kick from Paul Wiilis. Despite having most of the play and looking dangerous it was some time before Reidford was once more called into action. In the 13th minute Callum Antell did well to punch away a Mark Corcoran corner that John Gemmell was only able to fire over the bar. Defences were being strong and limiting chances but one was carved out by the visitors in the 23rd minute when Bobby Barr played Willis in. Luckily for Stenhousemuir, Willis lost his bearings and didn’t know where the ball had gone and Reidford made a stop when the goal was exposed. He was sharp again to deny Willis once more after a shot had been blocked but fell into his path. The keeper was having one of his better games although he had been lucky to get away with a lack of concentration earlier in the game when he picked up a pass back and subsequent free kick came to nothing. The best move of the game up to that point for the Warriors came in the 31st minute when Sean Dickson won the ball on the half way line before playing it to Corcoran who then picked out Darren Smith and his effort from 20 yards out went just the wrong side of the post. Stenhousemuir could have scored two minutes later when Scot Buist headed over a Corcoran corner. The Warriors were seeing more of the ball as the game progressed but they were unable to make any real chances before the end of the first half.

The second started promisingly when Callum Antell had to beat out a Corcoran free kick in the 50th minute. It was the Fifers however that drew first blood when they took the lead in the 55th minute. For the second week in a row it was a direct free kick that caused the damage, this time it was Scott McBride who curled the ball past the wall and into the net.

Stenhousemuir to their credit stepped up their game after this reverse and John Gemmell had a header cleared off the line by Craig Johnstone, before they equalised on the hour through a sweet 20 yard strike by Bryan Hodge after the Fifers failed to clear their lines.

Two minutes later East Fife were left scratching their heads after the Warriors goal had a miraculous escape when a brilliant block by Ross McMillan on Paul McManus was swiftly followed by two clearances off the line the latter by Kevin McKinlay.

East Fife then had a couple of escapes of their own when first of all David Rowson fired wide after the defence had been opened up and this was followed by a Mark Corcoran attempted chip that was saved by Antell after  the Warrior just failed to get enough elevation as he stretched to meet the ball.

In the 77th minute there was a scare when there was a collision between Reidford and Colin Samuel as Reidford went to gather a cross. Samuel was deemed to have made a challenge worthy of a caution by the referee Kevin Graham. Reidford although he was able to walk off to the relief of everyone was clearly not in a fit state to continue and he was replaced by Dean Shaw.

In the 81st minute the Warriors had a great chance to take the lead when a Darren Smith cross found John Gemmell but he failed to make proper contact and the ball ballooned up into the air to be clutched by Antell.

That miss could have been costly but luckily for the Warriors Bryan Hodge was in a goalscoring mood and he secured all three points in the 85th minute with another sweetly struck effort that gave Antell no chance.

Despite being only a goal ahead the Warriors were able to close out the game without too much hassle and indeed there was practically no pressure put on Dean Shaw at all before the final whistle.

Stenhousemuir – Reidford [Shaw 79], Ferguson, McKinlay, Buist [b86], McMillan, Hodge, Dickson [Thomson 67], Rowson, Gemmell, Corcoran and Smith [C.Anderson 90]. Subs not used – Reid and Duncan

East Fife – Antell, Durie, Johnstone, Muir [b88], McCormack, McBride, Barr [b56], Willis, McManus [b88], Smith and Keenan [Samuel h/t][b79]. Subs not used – Jamieson, Sloan, Gormley and Brown

Referee – Kevin Graham             Assistants – Andy Tait and Joseph McCaig




Warriors TV


Date Time League Season Full Time
February 16, 2013 3:00 pm SPFL Ladbrokes League 1 2012/2013 90'


Ochilview Park Stenhousemuir


Club1st Half2nd HalfGoalsOutcome