Match Report


Queen of the South v Stenhousemuir at Palmerston Park, Dumfries on 9.2.13

Irn Bru Scottish Second Division               Att 1,354

Queen of the South 2 [Young 33, Mitchell 45] Stenhousemuir 1 [Corcoran 47]


Queen of the South were unbeaten at home this season and indeed had only dropped two points whilst Stenhousemuir had only won once on the road so it looked as if Stenhousemuir were on a hiding to nothing in this game. Statistics though can be misleading as in the previous two meetings between the clubs Stenhousemuir have more than matched the runaway league leaders for periods of the game and they were looking to improve on the draw at Palmerston earlier in the season. This allied to the fact that only Stewart Kean was missing from the starting eleven and that the Warriors had three shut outs in a row meant that they travelled with a reasonable degree of confidence. The bookies thought it unlikely as Stenhousemuir were long odds to win and on this occasion as with so many the bookies proved to be right. Stenhousemuir will feel though that they should have got something out of the game as they probably gave the Doonhamers one of their hardest tests at home this season and on another day they would have had at least a share of the points. Both teams were unable to play a fluent passing game on a difficult surface after prolonged rain that made the pitch heavy and greasy but to their credit both gave it a go and although there was not too much goalmouth action it was not for the lack of trying and more that defences were played well.

The game started with a chance for Stenhousemuir with a decent opening for John Gemmell after he was played through by Darren Smith. Gemmell was forced wide by keeper Lee Robinson and his effort went off target. Stenhousemuir were pressing at this stage and Gemmell had another chance in the 7th minute when he met a Mark Corcoran cross but once again failed to make the most of the chance and it was deflected wide for a corner. This was followed by a powerful drive by Kevin McKinlay that flew just over the bar. Queens replied with a Derek Young shot that also missed the target in the 15th minute. It was an open game at this stage and the home side called Callum Reidford into action in the 17th minute when he made a routine save from a Derek Lyle header. Reidford was alert to the danger five minutes later diving at the feet of Nicky Clark after the ball was played behind the Warriors defence.

Despite these chances Stenhousemuir were having the bulk of the play with Darren Smith in particular being a nuisance to the home defence. There was no end product though for all the good play that the Warriors were playing and they were made to pay in the 33rd minute when the home side scored against the run of play. The scorer was Derek Young who started and finished the move when he made a timely run to lose his marker and latch onto a Chris Mitchell cross to steer the ball past Reidford.

If that was bad enough worse was to follow when Queen of the South extended their lead in stoppage time at the end of the first half. The tricky Danny Carmichael waltzed past two Stenhousemuir players before being tripped by Scot Buist just outside the box. The Warriors defender was cautioned for the foul and he was punished further when ex-Bairn Chris Mitchell curled the free kick round the wall and into the net with assistance from a post.

To their credit Stenhousemuir came out fighting after the restart and they were rewarded in the 47th minute when Mark Corcoran scored his first ever goal for the club. He took advantage of Queens defender Chris Higgins getting the ball caught between his feet and Corcoran dispossessed him before stepping  forward and firing the ball high into the net.

Stenhousemuir took heart from this but as in the first period struggled to breach the home defence with the closest being when Mark Durnan did well to block a Darren Smith effort. As the game progressed though Queens took over the territorial advantage but they too struggled to make clear chances to put the game beyond doubt. This meant that the result was still in doubt until the final kick of the ball and there was a relieved home support when Gemmell fired a free kick from 22 yards into the defensive wall just before the final whistle blew.    

Queen of the South – Robinson, Mitchell, Holt, Durnan, Higgins, Young, Burns, McKenna, Lyle [Reilly 68], Clark [Smith 80] and McKenna. Subs not used – Atkinson, McGuffie and Black.

Stenhousemuir – Reidford, Ross, McKinlay, Buist [b45], McMillan, Hodge, Dickson [C.Anderson 76], Rowson, Gemmell, Corcoran and Smith. Subs not used – I.Thomson, Ferguson, Hepburn and Shaw

Referee – Don Robertson            Assistants – Graeme Leslie and Stephen Allan


Warriors TV


Date Time League Season Full Time
February 9, 2013 3:00 pm SPFL Ladbrokes League 1 2012/2013 90'


Palmerston Park, Dumfries


Club1st Half2nd HalfGoalsOutcome