Match Report


Stenhousemuir v Arbroath at Ochilview Park, Stenhousemuir on 2.2.13

Irn Bru Scottish Second Division               Att 459

Stenhousemuir 1 [Gemmell 45] Arbroath 0

Stenhousemuir welcomed John Gemmell back into the side for the first time since the 17th of November  when he was injured at Forfar. He looked as if he wanted to set his stamp on the game and in the first minute he fired a powerful effort over the bar after he latched on to a pass behind the visitors defence.

The Warriors came even closer to breaking the deadlock in the 11th minute of the game when Stewart Kean struck the post after Arbroath keeper Scott Morrison flapped at a Bryan Hodge cross. This was to be the last meaningful contribution by the striker as he was subbed in the 19th minute after picking up an injury. This meant that both teams had already made enforced changes as Lee Sibanda picked up a knock for Arbroath and had to be replaced by Abroath debutant Euan Smith who had signed from Hibs on loan.

Kean’s replacement was also making his debut with Mark Corcoran donning Stenhousemuir colours for the first time since his signing from Ross County. Corcoran almost made an instant impact as he tested Morrison in 21 minutes with a decent effort after a swift move by Stenhousemuir featuring Hodge and Gemmell.

Shortly afterwards Ross McMillan missed from close range though it possibly was due to a touch from an Arbroath defender that was not picked up by the referee. The Warriors were well on top but not making their possession count and they could have paid for this when slack play gave Euan Smith a chance but his effort though struck with pace was well wide of the target.

Eventually Stenhousemuir got their reward for a first half performance that was one of the best for some time and it was no surprise that it was John Gemmell that opened the scoring. David Rowson chipping a ball into Gemmell who controlled the ball on his chest before steering a volley into the top corner of the net leaving Scott Morrison stranded. The goal came just on the stroke of half time and was a true reflection of how the game went in the first half.

The second period saw Arbroath come out fighting as expected and Callum Reidford made his first save of the match in the 50th minute when a snap shot by Steven Doris was comfortably saved. The play then transferred to the other end and Corcoran’s clever pass gave Gemmell an opportunity and he struck a decent effort that was well saved by Morrison after Alex Keddie managed to take some of the pace off it.  Rowson then had a shot deflected just wide before one of the more controversial parts of the game took place. The Warriors took a quick throw that caught out the Arbroath defence and Darren Smith appeared to be fouled in the act of shooting, the ball broke to Bryan Hodge outside the box and his deft chip was just cleared off the line by Stuart Malcolm. If the referee had blew for the infringement the Arbroath player would have had to be dismissed but it was not to be. Arbroath appealed for a penalty themselves in the 63rd minute when Keddie went down in the box but in this case it looked more a case of simulation than anything else. There was a scare for the Warriors though as Kevin McKAinlay had to receive treatment for a knock in the scramble that took place. There then followed Arbroath’s best spell of the game to date and Paul Sheerin saw an effort whistle just over before Doris almost hit a corner flag with an effort.  Stenhousemuir responded with a Corcoran effort just wide after another quick throw in. The home side in the main were still on top but there was a scare when the ball was played behind the defence to create an opening but Reidford reacted quickly to clear the initial danger.

As the game progressed both sides made substitutions but the third for each had games to forget. Brown Ferguson was booked for a tackle within a minute of coming on and Connor Birse was stretchered off within two minutes of his appearance after falling awkwardly.

This injury plus others during the second half to McKinlay and Colin Hamilton, thrice, meant that there was an agonisingly long period of stoppage time. Arbroath threw everything at Stenhousemuir in their efforts to get an equaliser though in all fairness they failed to breach the home defence. Nevertheless it was a relieved Stenhousemuir contingent when the referee ended the game in the eighth minute of time added on.     

Stenhousemuir – Reidford, Ross, McKinlay, Buist, McMillan, Hodge [b64], Dickson [Ferguson 90][b90], Rowson, Gemmell, Kean [Corcoran 19] and Smith [Reid 81]. Subs not used – Anderson and Shaw

Arbroath – Morrison, Baxter, Hamilton, Kerr, Malcolm, Keddie, Sibanda [Smith 14], Chisholm, Doris [Holmes 82], Bayne and Sheerin [Birse 84]. Subs not used – Robertson and Bullock

Referee – Euan Anderson            Assistants – Dougie Potter and Mark McHendry


Warriors TV


Date Time League Season Full Time
February 2, 2013 3:00 pm SPFL Ladbrokes League 1 2012/2013 90'


Ochilview Park Stenhousemuir


Club1st Half2nd HalfGoalsOutcome