Match Report


Stenhousemuir v Falkirk at Ochilview Park, Stenhousemuir on 1.12.12

William Hill Scottish Cup Fourth Round                 Att 1,758

Stenhousemuir 0 Falkirk 1 [Duffie 8]

This was a decent performance but a disappoint result as the Warriors lost out to neighbours Falkirk in the William Hill Scottish Cup. With the inclement weather around the area the pitch had to be salted prior to the game and although slightly harder than normal the pitch was playable for this game.

With a larger than normal attendance for a home game there was the unusual sight of the terracing at the five a side courts being used by the youngsters  who normally are situated in front of the press box so it was a bit quieter for the press pack in attendance.

The Warriors saw a number of personnel return after injury and on paper this was the strongest team that they had out for quite some time though the physical presence of John Gemmell to lead the line was still missing.

The home side started slowly and this meant that the Bairns were the better team in the early stages of the game. Stenhousemuir at this point were struggling to get their game together and Falkirk were able to gain the upper hand. They took the lead in the 8th minute through Kieran Duffie who cut in from the right and curled a shot past Callum Reidford and into the net. The main threat had came down this flank and the early warning signs had not been heeded. Shortly afterwards there was a tussle between Iain Thomson and Conor McGrandles that saw both players cautioned by referee Mat Northcroft . After the early stages of the game Falkirk began to sit back deeper and this meant that Stenhousemuir began to play their way back into the game.

Falkirk did come close with through a Jay Fulton header that went wide and a driving shot by Lyle Taylor that was saved by Reidford. But in the main it was Stenhousemuir that were getting more possession and they almost scored in the 32nd minute when Darren Smith’s cross deceived Michael McGovern and clipped the crossbar. In the 40th minute a well worked move ended with a Sean Dickson shot that was comfortably saved and in the last minute good footwork by Andy Rodgers created an opening but his effort from 25 yards out was also saved by McGovern.

Stenhousemuir continued to take the game towards Falkirk in the second half and the Warriors were unfortunate that a goalmouth scramble in the Falkirk box came to nothing in the 54th minute. Falkirk should have increased their lead though on the hour when the ball fell to Thomas Grant but he was denied by Reidford who had initially been caught in no mans land when the ball fell to the Falkirk player.

In the 74th minute Bryan Hodge found himself in a similar position to Duffie had in the first half but his strike curled just the wrong side of the post. This was followed by a chase from Stewart Kean to keep a Greg Ross cross in and his endeavours almost brought rewards as there was panic in the Falkirk defence but in the end there were no takers.

Falkirk were not creating as much as their supporters desired but Grant almost brought them joy in the80th minute but once again he was denied by Reidford when he only had the keeper to beat.

Stenhousemuir were still pushing forwards in search of the equaliser and they could not have come closer than in the 86th minute when a Ross McMillan effort from close range was cleared off the line by Kieran Duffie. There was a hint of handball as well as chest but the referee gave the Falkirk player the benefit of the doubt and no award was forthcoming.

In the last minute the Stenhousemuir defence was exposed to a counter attack and Falkirk looked as if they had scored a second when the ball was rolled over the line by Grant   The ‘goal’ was disallowed though for offside but Stenhousemuir were unable to make the most of this lifeline before the final whistle blew.

It was a valiant effort by the home side after their initial struggles but in the end it was Falkirk’s name that went into the hat for the next round of the cup

Stenhousemuir, – Reidford [b82], Ross [b90], McKinlay [b90], Buist [b65], McMillan, Hodge, Dickson, Thomson [b12][C. Anderson 83], Rodgers [b90], Kean and  Smith. Subs not used -, Paton, Ferguson, O’Grady and, Shaw,

Falkirk – , McGovern, Duffie, Kingsley, Dods, Flynn [McGeever h/t], Murdoch, Grant, Sibbald [b72] Taylor [Higgins 90] J. Fulton [Alston 35] and  McGrandles [b12].  Subs not used – Bowman and Small

Referee – Mat Northcroft           Assistants – Frank Connor and Sean Carr

Warriors TV


Date Time League Season Full Time
December 1, 2012 3:00 pm Scottish Gas Men's Scottish Cup 2012/13 90'


Ochilview Park Stenhousemuir


Club1st Half2nd HalfGoalsOutcome



Past Meetings