Match Report


Stenhousemuir v Brechin City at Ochilview Park, Stenhousemuir on 2.3.13

Irn Bru Scottish Second Division                       Att 504

Stenhousemuir 3 [Smith 19, Hay og. 55, Gemmell 62] Brechin City 3 [Trouten 5, Moyes 69, McKenna 77]


The Warriors captain Ross McMillan was missing for this game through injury so the day prior to the match Joe Mbu was signed up from Cowdenbeath on an initial 28 day loan and was immediately drafted into the starting eleven. He had barely had time to settle before  Brechin took the lead. The Glebe Park side may have been lacking match sharpness due to a number of recent postponed games but they put that behind them in the 5th minute when Alan Trouten latched onto a clever through ball from Andy Jackson to tuck the ball past Callum Reidford. They had another chance in the 13th minute but luckily for Stenhousemuir Gary Fusco missed the target when in a decent position to test Reidford.

A minute later Darren Smith combined with John Gemmell who back heeled the ball into Smith’s path and he struck the ball just wide of the target. He was to be more fortunate in the 19th minute of the game though when he equalised for the Warriors. The goal was somewhat fortunate as Michael Andrews and Gerry McLaughlin failed to communicate when Greg Ross played a cross in from the right flank. Smith reached the ball first and after some unorthodox control managed to round the keeper and play the ball into an empty net.

Stenhousemuir were on top after this and McLaughlan was lucky not be cautioned for a very late tackle on John Gemmell.  Before the end of the half the home side had created several chances with Mark Corcoran and Sean Dickson just failing to test Andrews. The keeper proved his qualities though in the 38th minute with a double save from Greg Ross and Darren Smith to ensure the game was still level at half time.

The Warriors continued to be on top at the start of the second half and perseverance by Gemmell created an opening for himself but he struck a powerful drive just over. Stenhousemuir took the lead in the 54th minute and once again they didn’t have to work too hard for the goal as Brechin defender Graham Hay kneed the ball back to Michael Andrews who was out of position and the ball rolled into the net.  Brechin should have equalised shortly afterwards when Trouten missed an opportunity from eight yards on the hour.

The game should have been dead and buried in the 62nd minute when Gemmell was picked out and smashed the ball into the net from just outside the box. It certainly looked as if it would not be Brechin’s day when they squandered another chance when David McKenna dragged the ball wide when unmarked. They eventually took a chance in the 69th minute through Ewan Moyes who fired home after the Warriors were unable to clear a mishit corner kick. This rocked the home side and they had Reidford to thank when he spread himself to prevent another goal in 74 minutes. He was unable to prevent Brechin equalising though in the 77th minute when Trouten set up McKenna with a pass back to him from outside the box and McKenna thundered the ball into the net.

At this stage Stenhousemuir were on the ropes but they were handed a lifeline when Gary Fusco was sent off for his second caution in the 82nd minute after a foul on Bryan Hodge. This stopped Brechin’s momentum and Stenhousemuir gradually got back to grips with the game. In the last minute they were also reduced to ten men following another tussle between Gemmell and McLaughlan when the referee adjudged that Gemmell had used an elbow.

When the game eventually restarted after a lengthy interval Stenhousemuir almost scored the winner when David Rowson fired a  rocket off the crossbar and with practically the last touch Brown Ferguson saw a header collected by Michael Andrews.

The game ended as a draw with both managers probably feeling disappointed at the outcome of the game as both teams had chances to win the game that would have been good for the neutrals but had supporters of both sides tearing their hair out

Stenhousemuir – Reidford, Ross, McKinlay [Thomson 43], Buist [b59], Mbu, Hodge [Kean 83], Dickson, Rowson, Gemmell [so90], Corcoran [Ferguson 75] and Smith. Subs not used – Reid and Shaw


Brechin City – Andrews, McLaughlan, McLean, Hay, Moyes [b61], J. Stewart, Trouten [b88], Fusco [b69][so 82], Jackson, McKenna [Brady 84] and Carcary [R. Stewart 65]. Subs not used – Brown, Murdoch and Nelson

Referee – David Somers                     Assistants – Ross Haswell and David Roome


Warriors TV


Date Time League Season Full Time
March 2, 2013 3:00 pm SPFL Ladbrokes League 1 2012/2013 90'


Ochilview Park Stenhousemuir


Club1st Half2nd HalfGoalsOutcome