Match Report

Stenhousemuir v Albion Rovers at Ochilview Park, Stenhousemuir on 12.12.15

Ladbroke League One                    Att 354

Stenhousemuir 0 Albion Rovers 1 [Fisher 69]


Stenhousemuir – Gould, McCormack, Paterson [Cook 58], Malcolm, , J.Robertson, Gilhaney [Mazana 76], Millar, McMenamin, Scotland and Marenghi [Small 86]. Subs not used – Barclay, Murray, Monaghan and Stirling.

Albion Rovers – Stewart, Reid [b79], Talu, Fisher, R.Dunlop, M.Dunlop, Mullin [Ferry 78], Davidson, McRobbie [Love 68], Willis [Young 89] and McBride. Subs not used – Lochhead,  Archibald [t], Cappie [t]

Referee – Mat Northcroft             Assistants – Lorraine Clark and Graham Fraser

After a disappointment in the Scottish Cup the previous week it was back to League business. The team made several changes from the previous week with Matt Gould replacing Jamie Barclay who was suffering a groin strain. Jamie McCormack returned to a reshuffled defence and Anthony Marenghi made a rare start.

The early stages were promising with Ross Meechan going close with a clever flick and Colin McMenamin seeing a geader saved. In the main though chances were few and far between with the Warriors struggling to break down a well disciplined Rovers team. Indeed it was the visitors who had the best opening when a cross by Michael Dunlop picked out Callum McRobbie but the striker headed over. On the half hour McRobbie became creator with a ball to the back post that Scott McBride failed to get to under pressure from Kieran Millar. In the 41st minute Mark Gilhaney teased out an opening with clever footwork and his cross was met by Meechan but his header picked out the keeper when better direction would have resulted in a goal.

The second period started with chances at either end the first saw Ross Davidson flash a shot just wide before the play transferred to the other end and McMenamin headed just wide though he did well to stretch to meet the ball in the first place.  Rovers should really have taken the lead in the 59th minute when a misunderstanding in the Stenhousemuir defence allowed McBride to advance on goal but his strike was well saved by a strong one handed save from Gould. Ten minutes later though the keeper moved from being the hero to the villain when Rovers took the lead. Gary Fisher hit a shot that dipped and swerved from distance and although it was moving away from the keeper he seemed to dive too early and it went over him and into the net.

There was a glorious chance to equalise within a minute when McMenamin tried to battle his way through a ruck of players and was tripped by Alan Reid who was cautioned. Jason Scotland stepped up to take the spot kick and although he sent Ross Stewart the wrong way he hit the inside of the post and came out. After that the Warriors tried hard to get back on level terms but apart from a Lewis Small effort that struck the side net there was few scares for a Rovers side that maintained their third place in the league    


Warriors TV


Date Time League Season Full Time
December 12, 2015 3:00 pm SPFL Ladbrokes League 1 2015/2016 90'


Ochilview Park Stenhousemuir


Club1st Half2nd HalfGoalsOutcome