Match Report

Stenhousemuir v East Kilbride at Ochilview Park, Stenhousemuir on 28.10.15

William Hill Scottish Cup Third Round                      Att 502

Stenhousemuir 2 [Scotland 72, Malcolm 90] East Kilbride 2 [Coll 36, Winter 58]

The Warriors went into this first ever meeting against East Kilbride from the Lowland League with the same starting eleven that had defeated Brechin the previous week. This meant that Matt Gould made his home debut with Jamie Barclay on the bench.

The home side have put a good run of results together in the League but the Scottish Cup is a totally different competition as they soon found out that the visitors were out to stake a claim for the history books in their first game against SPFL opposition.

They probably should have taken the lead in the third minute when Jack Smith, who had been on trial with Stenhousenmuir pre-season, beat the home side for pace but from close range shot just wide under pressure from Ross Meechan. At the other end Alan Cook also shot wide after 6 minutes. Apart from a Mark Gilhaney corner that was tipped over in the 11th minute neither keeper was called into action until the half hour.  Jaason Scotland twisted and turned before releasing a strike that was blocked before the play transferred to the other end and Gould had to be alert to punch a Martin McBride corner clear under pressure, shortly after this Jack Smith had a good chance after being set up by Fraser Johnstone but he took a touch too many and his effort was blocked. The visitors were in the ascendancy and they took the lead in the 36th minute with an absolute screamer of a shot from distance by Brendan Coll that gave the keeper no chance. McBride then fired over and Craig Hastings saw a strike blocked as the Kilby grew in confidence. The home side were probably lucky to going in to the half time interval only a goal down and would have been hoping to regroup.

When the second period started though the visitors had other ideas and there were claims for a penalty turned down when Jack Smith went down in the box but appeals were waived away. The Warrior’s best effort of the game came in the 55th minute with a spin and shot by Colin McMenamin that went just over with the keeper beaten. East Kilbride added to their tally in the 58th minute when Sean Winter bundled the ball into the net after Gould could only parry a long range wind assisted effort by Jack Smith. 

With things not going their way Brown Ferguson rang the changes with a triple substitution. This had almost an instant impact as within two minutes the Warriors had scored with Jason Scotland tucking the ball into the net after a goalmouth scramble. After that the home side had the best of the play but the visitors had a real chance to kill off the game in the 87th minute through the impressive Hastings but after carving out a chance fired just over the bar.

With the game heading for stoppage time Stenhousemuir equalised through captain Stuart Malcolm who headed home after McMenamin had flicked a Jon Robertson cross into his path.

Once again the Warriors had shown the spirit to come back into a game when they should have been dead and buried but on this occasion it only covered up the defects of a poor performance where they were outplayed and lucky to get a replay.

Stenhousemuir – Gould, McCormack[b49] [Small 70][b90], Paterson, Malcolm [b64], Meechan, Stirling [J.Robertson 70], Gilhaney, Millar, McMenamin, Scotland and Cook [Marenghi 70]. Subs not used – Barclay, Murray, Henderson and Monaghan.

East Kilbride – McGinley, Lachlan, Coll, Howie [b32], Russell [b76], Winter, Hastings, McBride [Gebbie 86], J.Smith [Gormley 70], R.Smith and Johnstone [Templeton 79]. Subs not used – Kean, Morris and Kerr.

Referee – Kevin Graham               Assistants – John McCrossan and Jim Burns.



Warriors TV


Date Time League Season Full Time
November 28, 2015 3:00 pm William Hill Scottish Cup 2015/2016 90'


Ochilview Park Stenhousemuir


Club1st Half2nd HalfGoalsOutcome