Match Report

Stenhousemuir v Raith Rovers at Ochilview Park, Stenhousemuir on 18.08.15

Petrofac Training Challenge Cup Second Round                 Att 449

Stenhousemuir 2 [Cook 67, Stirling 71] Raith Rovers 0


Stenhousemuir – Barclay, McCormack, Henderson [b73], Malcolm, Meechan, Stirling [McCroary 90], Robertson, Smith [Eddington 90], McShane [McMenamin 78] and Cook. Subs not used – Hamilton, Marenghi, Shaw and Martinez.


Raith Rovers – Cuthbert, Thomson [so 90], Petrie, Bates, Benedictus, Matthews [Stewart 65], Davidson, McCord [Callachan 72], Anderson, Megginson and Wighton. Subs not used – Toshney, McGurn, McKeown, Ellis and Craigen.


Referee – Greg Aitken                  Assistants – Michael Banks and David Dunne


Stenhousemuir went into this game in good spirits after their victory over Airdrie and it was always going to be interesting to see how they did against Championship opponents. Both teams made several changes from their Saturday games including the Warriors giving Jon McShane his first competitive start for the club. Raith settled down better in the initial stages and Ryan McCord volleyed wide in the second minute. Shortly after this Craig Wighton tested Jamie Barclay and the keeper made an even better save in the 13th minute making a fine stop from Mitch Megginson. Despite the early pressure it was the home side that could have taken the lead in the 20th minute when Allan Smith rattled the ball off the bar from a McShane cushioned header back to him. The best chance of the half was in the 40th minute when McShane really should have put the Warriors into the lead. An Alan Cook free kick picked him out at the back post but his header from four yards out bounced over the bar with the keeper beaten.


Nevertheless it was an optimistic feeling within the Stenhousemuir ranks at half time knowing that they had a chance of a shock if they remained focused in the second period. Certainly Kevin Cuthbert was the busier of the two keepers after the resumption making saves from Smith and Jon Robertson in quick succession. Ex-Warrior Grant Anderson was the main danger for Raith and he set up Megginson in the 52nd minute but the striker lacked composure and shot well wide of the target. Eventually the deadlock was broken in the 67th minute and it was the Warriors that took the lead. A swift passing move down the right eventually saw McShane pass wide to Cook rather than have a shot himself and this opened up the Raith defence and Cook slotted the ball into the far corner with the aid of the post. Raith almost equalised immediately with a Wighton header that struck the post.


The Warriors extended their lead in the 71st minute with a goal that would have a worthy winner on any stage. A kick out by Jamie Barclay wasn’t cleared and Stephen Stirling intercepted the ball 30 yards out chesting the ball down before striking a half volley into the top corner past a despairing Cuthbert.

This strike clearly deflated the visitors and Cuthbert did well to deny Smith with a brave save in the 82nd minute. Shortly after this it was the turn of Barclay to be in the wars after picking up a head knock at a set piece. Both keepers were able to resume after treatment.


With the game drawing to a close things got worse for Raith as their captain Jason Thomson was sent off for perceived violent conduct kicking out in frustration when Stirling was lying almost over the ball after being fouled.

The fact that Raith were down to ten men though by the end of the game should not obscure a fine and well deserved victory for Stenhousemuir that showed potential but they need to get the consistency as well.



Warriors TV


Date Time League Season Full Time
August 18, 2015 7:45 pm Petrofac Training Cup 2015/2016 90'


Ochilview Park Stenhousemuir


Club1st Half2nd HalfGoalsOutcome