Match Report

Stenhousemuir v Brechin City at Ochilview Park, Stenhousemuir on 1.11.14

William Hill Scottish Cup Third Round Att 451

Stenhousemuir 1 [McCormack og 33] Brechin City 2 [McAusland 51, Barr 83 pen]  

The Warriors went into this game hoping a change of competition would mean a change of fortune but this was not to be case as they once again lost out due to a late penalty from the opposition. Stenhousemuir gave a starting debut to Fraser Eddington who replaced the injured Gary Oliver but apart from that the team was unchanged from the previous week. It took a while for the home team to get going in this game with Brechin having the territorial advantage but failing to penetrate the Warriors defence.

Stenhousemuir weren’t helped by an enforced substitution in the 11th minute when Kieran Millar had to leave the field with a head injury and he was replaced by Bryan Hodge who himself was returning from injury himself. The Warriors struggled to get their passing game going and at times resorted to a long ball game that didn’t really pay dividends. They however did take the lead in the 33rd minute though they were assisted greatly by Darren McCormack who headed past his own keeper following a Colin McMenamin header into the danger area from a Tom Walsh free kick.  

This gave the team a lift and they probably should have increased the lead in the 38th minute when a raking ball from the left by Eddington picked out Jamie Reid on the right, he cut inside before forcing Graeme Smith into a parried save. The Warrior could possibly done better with the execution but a slight hesitation could have been crucial.

The home side had a claim for a penalty turned down in the 50th minute when Eddington went down following a Gerry McLauchlan challenge. It would have been a soft award if given though. That decision could have been vital as a minute later the game was level. The finish by Kyle McAusland was exquisite but the build up to it was anything but. Stenhousemuir gave away a very cheap corner and when it was taken an initial shot by Colin Hamilton was miscued and could have went anywhere but fell at the feet of another team mate who played it back to McAusland who chipped the keeper from only 20 yards.  

The Warriors suffered another injury when Ross McMillan departed after 66 minutes and this meant a reshuffle of the defence with Ciaran Summers taking the left back berth and Alan Lithgow moving to central defence. In the 68th minute a great run and cross by Eddington picked out Sean Dickson but his header went just the wrong side of the post. Two minutes later Stenhousemuir went even closer when a Kris Faulds strike from the edge of the box at a corner kick was cleared off the line by Ewan McNeil.  

In the 83rd minute though Brechin completed their comeback by taking the lead from the penalty spot. Bryan Hodge was adjudged to have fouled Bobby Barr as he gave too close attention as the Brechin player collected the ball in the box with his back to goal.

The referee had no hesitation in pointing to the spot though there was indignation from the Stenhousemuir bench and players. It was Barr himself who stepped up and fired a confident strike high into the top corner with Fleming diving the wrong way.

There was to be no way back for the Warriors and thus it was Brechin that advanced into the fourth round draw.  

Stenhousemuir – Fleming, Duncan, Greacen, McMillan [Summers 66], Lithgow, K.Millar [Hodge 11], Reid [Dickson 65], Faulds [B45], McMenamin, Walsh and Eddington. Subs not used – Meechan, Watt, Grehan and Smith.  

Brechin City – Smith, McNeil [b75], Hamilton, D.McCormack, McLauchlan, Fusco, Barr [B37], McAusland, A.Jackson [b81], Ferguson[McLean 89] and Thomson. Subs not used – Cameron, J.McCormack, Molloy and O’Neil.  

Referee – Colin Steven

Assistants – Alan Mulvanny and Chris McTiernan

Warriors TV


Date Time League Season Full Time
November 1, 2014 3:00 pm William Hill Scottish Cup 2014/2015 90'


Ochilview Park Stenhousemuir


Club1st Half2nd HalfGoalsOutcome