Match Report

Stenhousemuir v Peterhead at Ochilview Park, Stenhousemuir on 7.3.15

SPFL Division One             Att 436

Stenhousemuir 2 [McMenamin 6, Watt 55] Peterhead 1 [Redman 41]


Stenhousemuir –Fleming, Meechan, Summers, Lithgow, McMillan, Hodge [Faulds 16], McMullan, K.Millar, McMenamin [Grehan 90], Marenghi and Watt [Fotheringham 84]. Subs not used – McCormack, Gallacher, Sutherland and Smith.


Peterhead – G.Smith, Kerr, Noble, Strachan, R.Smith [b75], McDonald, Dzierzawski [Brown 74], Redman [Cox 69], McAllister, Stevenson and Riley [Rodgers 60]. Subs not used – Donaldson, McLaren and Jarvie.


Referee – Gavin Duncan                Assistants – Andrew McWilliam and Gerard Pllu


After the midweek victory over Stranraer the Warriors went with the same starting eleven for this match against Peterhead as they looked to win twice in a row for the first time in the league since August 2013. The last encounter at a windswept Balmoor saw The Blue Toon victorious and Stenhousemuir without a manager as Scott Booth was dismissed the next day.

The weather may have been similar but the atmosphere was better as for once there was an air of confidence at Ochilview albeit against a team that had won the previous matches this season. Peterhead were the first to threaten and Nicky Riley was tripped by Ross Meechan on the edge of the box and it was very close to being a penalty with the visitors claiming the foul was in the box. Stenhousemuir survived the appeal though and were to take the lead in the 6th minute when an Anthony Marenghi corner was only cleared to the edge of the box and Colin McMenamin’s first time shot flew into the top corner. There was a blow when Bryan Hodge had to leave the pitch with a calf knock after 16 minutes. Despite the dreadful conditions both teams tried their best to play football and Jamie Stevenson thundered a shot just wide in the 24th minute before the play was transferred to the other end and Ross Meechan and Paul McMullan linked up well before the former shot just wide though his perseverance deserved a better reward. Riley was unlucky with a threaded pass behind the home defence that Rory McAllister just failed to get to and then Stevenson rattled the crossbar though Meechan did well to get across to put pressure on the Peterhead man. The best chance though fell to Josh Watt after a cushioned pass by Kris Faulds but Graeme Smith saved the effort with his legs. That looked to be a vital save when Jamie Redman equalised in the 41st minute meeting a cross then showing composure to take a touch before prodding home. Graeme Smith came to Peterhead’s rescue again in the last minute of the half to deny Watt and Alan Lithgow.


Faulds was denied by Smith after the restart but the keeper was eventually beaten by Watt who stroked the ball into the net in the 55th minute after a swift attacking move involving a number of Stenhousemuir players. Peterhead responded positively and Greg Fleming made a decent save from Cammy Kerr before a McAllister effort was deflected just wide. Ciaran Summers then had a run and shot in the 70th minute that drifted just wide of the top corner, but most of the chances were coming at the other end and Andy Rodgers will felt that he should have done better with a header that was saved by Fleming in the 74th minute and the keeper brought off a superb tip over to deny sub Jordon Brown in the 82nd minute.


As in the Stranraer game it was the home side that created the better chances at the end and Paul McMullan was denied by a brilliant fingertip save by Graeme Smith in the 85th minute. This was followed in the 89th minute by a pinpoint pass by Kieran Millar pass being met by Gregor Fotheringham who lashed a shot off the crossbar with Smith stranded. Nevertheless the final whistle blew with the Warriors victorious and climbed the table to third bottom.

Warriors TV


Date Time League Season Full Time
March 7, 2015 3:00 pm SPFL Ladbrokes League 1 2014/2015 90'


Ochilview Park Stenhousemuir


Club1st Half2nd HalfGoalsOutcome