Match Report

Stenhousemuir v Morton at Ochilview Park, Stenhousemuir on 10.1.15

SPFL Division One                            Att 508

Stenhousemuir 2 [McMenamin 49, 87 pen] Morton 3 [S.McCluskey 51, O’Ware 59, Caldwell 62]

Stenhousemuir – Fleming, Lithgow, Meechan, McMillan, Summers, Hodge, Gallacher [Grehan 60], Faulds, McMenamin, Dickson [Watt 72] and Eddington. Subs not used – Duncan, Redpath, Fotheringham and Smith

Morton – Adam, Kilday, Russell [b68], O’Ware, Crighton [b87], Lamie, McKee, Millar, S.McCluskey [Ferris 90], Caldwell [b62] [MacDonald 77] and J.McCluskey. Subs not used – Milojevic, Pepper, Knight, Orr and McGowan

Referee – John McKendrick           Assistants – Graham McNellie and David Dickinson.

Once again there were several changes to the Stenhousemuir starting eleven with Ross McMillan returning to central defence which had a knock on effect as Alan Lithgow moved to right back with Robbie Duncan dropping to the bench. Fraser Eddington started for the first time and Kieran Millar was absent through ill health. On the bench for the first time in a Stenhousemuir first team squad was Jamie Redpath who has done well in the development squad games so far.

Morton had made three signings before the game and all featured at some point, Grant Adam and Peter MacDonald having signed from Dundee and Ross Caldwell an on loan signing from St.Mirren. MacDonald was technically a trialist in this game as paperwork was not completed but it is safe to say he was well known to the Ton contingent having played for them previously and is very popular with their supporters.

The game was played in dreadful conditions and with the wind being a factor it was difficult for both teams to get into any sort of rhythm in the early stages as they adapted to the elements. The Warriors in particular struggled against the wind and created few opportunities. In a rare passing move they showed what they were capable of though when Sean Dickson volleyed a Kris Faulds cross over the bar. For Morton Steph McCluskey had a shot saved by Greg Fleming in the 14th minute but it took until the final minute of the half before they came close again when a Joe McKee long range effort flew just over. The main talking point of the half was the lengthy treatment required for Lee Kilday after he collided with an advertising board.

Although Stenhousemuir would not have been that happy with their performance they had managed to frustrate the Greenock side and would have hoped to build on this in the second half. It looked as if things were going to plan when they took the lead in the 49th minute. Sean Dickson was allowed to run at the Morton defence who seemed to back off him and he hit a fine effort that was parried by Grant Adam, Colin McMenamin was first to react and managed to dispatch the ball into the net despite the keeper’s best efforts. The lead was not to last for long though as the game was level two minutes later when Jamie McCluskey got the better of Alan Lithgow and picked his brother Steph out in the middle to slide home. Morton grew in confidence after this and it did not help that Stenhousemuir crumbled under the pressure. They took the lead in the 59th minute when Tom O’Ware held off the attentions of Ross McMillan before tucking the ball into the net from the edge of the box. They increased their lead when they scored from an attack down the opposite flank before the ball was played into the middle for Caldwell to score. The striker was booked for his celebrations after this goal on his debut. It looked as if Morton could score at will as they opened the home side up time and time again and the score could have taken on embarrassing proportions if Greg Fleming had not brought off a series of superb saves.

With time running out the Warriors were handed a lifeline when Sean Crighton in a moment of madness clawed away a cross in the box and referee John McKendrick awarded a penalty and cautioned the player, though some felt it could have been a sending off. Colin McMenamin scored with the spot kick and if McMillan had managed to get a touch on a cross minutes later the Warriors could have had a share of the spoils. It was not to be though and indeed it was Morton who came closest to getting another goal through a powerful McKee header that once again brought out a fine save from Greg Fleming. 

Warriors TV


Date Time League Season Full Time
January 10, 2015 3:00 pm SPFL Ladbrokes League 1 2014/2015 90'


Ochilview Park Stenhousemuir


Club1st Half2nd HalfGoalsOutcome