Match Report

Stenhousemuir v Brechin City at Ochilview Park, Stenhousemuir on 3.10.15

Ladbrokes League One                  Att 334

Stenhousemuir 2 [Cook 33, Mazana 90] Brechin City 2 [Jackson 71, Weatherston 75]


Stenhousemuir – Barclay [b19], McCormack [Marenghi 87], Meechan, Malcolm, Murray [Henderson 30], Robertson, Gilhaney, Stirling, Eddington [McShane 73], Mazana and Cook. Subs not used – Millar, Shaw and McCroary.


Brechin City – Smith, McLean, Dyer, Dods [Perry h/t], Bates, Fusco [b90], Tiffoney [Weatherston 60], Molloy, Jackson, Thomson and Shields. Subs not used – Johnston, McCormack, Montgomery, Smith and O’Neil.


Referee – David Lowe    Assistants –  Graeme Leslie and Thomas Clark


After a difficult couple of weeks the Warriors were hoping to get back to winning ways for this the last game of the first quarter. They would have probably preferred to meet Brechin earlier in the season when the visitors were still taking time to settle under the stewardship of rookie manager Darren Dods. The last few weeks though have seen their fortunes change and they were possibly the favourites with some going into this game.

With Colin McMenamin suspended and Allan Smith injured it was a new front line as Fraser Eddington, who has also had his injury problems this season, coming in for his first start whilst Carlos Mazana continued in his unfamiliar forward role. Eddington was in action at the start and he came off second best to Brechin keeper Graeme Smith when the two challenged for a bouncing ball and the Warrior had to receive treatment before continuing. Although he played over 70 minutes his effectiveness was reduced in the latter stages as he was struggling with his breathing and couldn’t play at the pace of the game. The home team started with promise but apart from a Mazana shot that went wide had nothing to show for their efforts. Indeed it was Brechin who had the best chance of the game when they were awarded a penalty in the 19th minute when Jamie Barclay was adjudged to have tripped Robert Thomson. The keeper was booked for actions but with the foul been given the visitors may have felt that a red card should have been shown instead. The resultant penalty by Willie Dyer was saved by Barclay, The home side suffered a blow on the 30th minute when Euan Murray hobbled off with what looked like a hamstring injury. This meant a re-jig of the defence but before Brechin could exploit the changes they found themselves in arrears. Alan Cook timing his run perfectly to tuck a pinpoint Mark Gilhaney cross into the net. The visitors had a decent chance to equalise just before the interval but Paul McLean fired a free shot over the bar after Stenhousemuir struggled to clear a corner kick.


The second half started with Brechin on top but failed to capitalise in the early stages where the closest that either team came to scoring was a Stuart Malcolm header from a Gilhaney cross that went wide of the target. Brechin eventually equalised in the 71st minute when a flick behind the home defence was met by Andy Jackson and he tucked the ball into the net. Four minutes later Brechin were ahead when Barclay struggled to punch the ball clear under duress from a Brechin player and when the ball fell to David Weatherston he took full advantage to dispatch the ball into the net.


To their credit Stenhousemuir kept going and although Jon McShane headed wide in the 84th minute they got back on level terms in the 90th minute when a quick corner caught the Brechin defence napping and Alan Cook picked out Mazana on  the edge of the box and he volleyed into the net for his first competitive goal in Scotland.


Warriors TV


Date Time League Season Full Time
October 3, 2015 3:00 pm SPFL William Hill League 1 2015/16 90'


Ochilview Park Stenhousemuir


Club1st Half2nd HalfGoalsOutcome



Past Meetings