Match Report


Stenhousemuir v Clyde at Ochilview Park, Stenhousemuir on 10.03.18

SPFL Ladbrokes League Two             Att 488

Stenhousemuir 2 [Ferns 55, Paton 75] Clyde 3 [McStay 8, Goodwillie 29,51]


Stenhousemuir – McMinn, Meechan, M.Dunlop [b61], R.Dunlop, Donaldson, Marsh [b30][Ferns h/t][b90], McGuigan, Ferry ,Longworth [McMenamin 85], Paton [b86] and Paterson [Cook h/t]. Subs not used –Foden and Cunningham.


Clyde – Currie [b77], Duffie, Stewart, McNiff, Cogill, Lamont [Boyle 85], Cuddihy, McStay [Millar 89], Goodwillie [b66], Grant and Martin [Osadolor 75]. Subs not used – Kipre, Lowdon, Wright and Gourlay.


Referee – Graham Beaton     Assistants – Calum Spence and Alan Proctor


Whether it was that the players were rusty after the lay-off due to the weather, or whether it was changes in personnel or system  in the first half it was one of the poorest passages of play by the Warriors in the League at Ochilview this season.


Stenhousemuir fell behind in the eighth minute to a top notch effort by Chris McStay that flew past Lewis McMinn. The Bully Wee had the better of the play in the early stages and they clearly grew in confidence as the game went on. Ross Meechan came the closest to a goal with a shot across goal that curled wide after 23 minutes play.


Just before the half hour though Clyde extended their lead when David Goodwillie had all the time in the world to slot the ball home after the Dunlop brothers got in a fankle and left the striker all on his own. The Warriors had a couple of chances before the interval but Jamie Longworth miskicked the first effort in the 42nd minute and then headed wide from just a couple of yards out after good work by Nicki Paterson. Clyde almost had the last say though as McMinn had to tip an Adam Martin header over the bar.


Brown Ferguson rang the changes at half time making a double substitution with Alan Cook and Eddie Ferns entering the fray. Before they had a chance to take affect though Clyde scored their third when Goodwillie got the better of his marker before dispatching the ball home from a tight angle.


Eventually the home support had something to cheer in the 55th minute when Ferns met a Cook cross first time and thrashed the ball into the net to spare the blushes of Longworth and Mark McGuigan who both missed the chance to convert the cross.


Goodwillie was eager for his hat-trick and just missed with an audacious chip from the left flank that just landed on the roof of the net. Most of the play though was starting to come at the other end and Harry Paton was denied by Blair Currie’s leg and this was followed shortly afterwards with a superb save by the keeper to deny Cook.


Eventually the Stenhousemuir pressure told and Harry Paton got a well deserved goal when he took a touch with one foot before steering the ball past Currie with the other. There was 15 minutes left when that goal went in and it looked as if the Warriors might get back into the game. Clyde almost extended their lead though in controversial circumstances as Cook was obstructed by the referee when going for the ball and both tumbled to the ground. A quick pass forward found a Clyde attacker and McMinn had to be on the top of his game to keep the ball out of the net.


Cook did well to steer a volley on target as he stretched to meet a cross from the right flank and although he got the ball on target Currie made his save look simple. Clyde were able to run the clock down in the dying minutes and were relieved to pick up the three points when the whistle blew for full time


Warriors TV


Date Time League Season Full Time
March 10, 2018 3:00 pm SPFL Ladbrokes League 2 2017/2018 90'


Ochilview Park Stenhousemuir


Club1st Half2nd HalfGoalsOutcome