Match Report


Stirling Albion v Stenhousemuir at Forthbank, Stirling on 21.10.17

William Hill Scottish Cup Second Round      Att 768

Stirling Albion 1 [D.Smith 75] Stenhousemuir 2 [McGuigan 25 pen, Longworth 48]


Stirling Albion – Binnie, McGeachie, Hamilton, McNeil, R.Smith, Black [Kavanagh 51], Morrison, Caddis [Dickson 51], McLaughlin, L.Smith and Robertson [McMullen 58]. Subs not used – Foden, Noble, Cameron and Banner.


Stenhousemuir – Smith, Meechan, M.Dunlop, R.Dunlop, Paterson, Ferry, McGuigan [McMenamin 90], Paton, Longworth [Murray 74], Ferns [b71][Marsh 81] and Donaldson. Subs not used – Gilmour, Allan, Scott and McMinn.


Referee – Gavin Duncan        Assistants – Alasdair Ross and Jim Burns


After the disappointing performance against Elgin City the Warriors found themselves on the road once again albeit a far shorter journey to league leaders Stirling Albion. The top two scorers in the division were pitted against each other and both got on the score sheet but that was the only similarity between the teams as Stenhousemuir were far more comfortable winners than the score suggested.


Stenhousemuir started the game on top ad in the second minute Mark McGuigan headed wide from a Nicki Paterson free kick. Stirling responded with a Liam Caddis strike that he blasted over a couple of minutes later. Although the Warriors were on top they were gifted the opportunity to take the lead in the 25th minute of the game when Eddie Ferns was fouled by Ewan McNeil and McGuigan converted the penalty. For a couple of minutes after this the home side played at a higher tempo but when Stenhousemuir attacked again they could have scored when Jamie Longworth volleyed a loose ball wide. Cammy Binnie kept the home side in the game with a couple of fine saves to deny Harry Paton and then to tip a deflection round the post. From the corner Mike Dunlop headed just wide. Stirling showed that they could be a danger in the 39th minute when Ruaridh Donaldson made a timely interception just as Calumn Morrison was about to shoot.


The second half saw the Warriors on top once again and they scored their second in the 48th minute though poor defending also attributed to the goal as Ross Smith could only steer a header from a long throw into the path of Longworth and he hit a first time shot into the corner of the net. There were chances at either end after this but the best opportunity came when Ross Meechan won the ball off Willie Robertson and played a through ball for McGuigan who despite having to stretch almost put the ball into the net. Stirling suffered a blow as captain Robertson was injured in the tackle and couldn’t continue. Longworth almost hit the corner flag as Stenhousemuir pushed forward and then Binnie made a fine save to deny Eddie Ferns before Paterson shot just wide after a back heel was played into his path.


With Stenhousemuir squandering a number of chances there was always the chance that the league leaders would manage to claw their way back into the game and they did indeed reduce the deficit in the 73rd minute when Morrison won the ball as Meechan tried to shield the ball out of play before advancing into the box and picking out the run of Darren Smith to convert.


Paterson then had another effort just wide before Binnie had to stretch to clutch a chip by McGuigan who had his back to goal when he attempted the shot from the edge of the box. With two minutes to go Chris Smith brought off a superb save at point blank range from Darren Smith to prevent the equaliser.


The final whistle blew with the Warriors still in the lead and it would have been an injustice if the score had been anything other than a win. Stenhousemuir gave their best display of the season so far and should have had the game won comfortably but Cammy Binnie’s performance gave Stirling a lifeline that they almost took.




Date Time League Season Full Time
October 28, 2017 3:00 pm SPFL Ladbrokes League 2 2017/2018 90'


Forthbank Stadium, Stirling


Club1st Half2nd HalfGoalsOutcome