Match Report

Cowdenbeath v Stenhousemuir at Central Park, Cowdenbeath on 23.4.16

SPFL Ladbrokes League One       Att 474

Cowdenbeath 1 [Sives 43] Stenhousemuir 3 [Cook 71,78, Robertson 74]


The Warriors went into this game knowing that realistically they needed to get at least a share of the points. When looking at the team sheet before the game many reflected that the starting eleven would try and play it tight with three centre halves featuring and only recognised forward. This was not to be the case though as Euan Murray moved to the left back role and Jon Robertson and Jamie McCormack took more familiar positions than the previous week. The support for McMenamin was better as well with Mark Gilhaney and Alan Cook making forays up front wherever possible.


Throughout the first period the Warriors had the bulk of the play without really making it count on a difficult pitch that made passing football harder than it should have been. The closest that they came to breaking the deadlock being in the 32nd minute when Murray latched onto a loose ball after a Stenhousemuir effort had been blocked and his strike was well saved by Grant Adam.  There were danger signs before the end of the half though when Stuart Malcolm made a timely block to stop a Declan McDade effort. A minute later and against the run of play Cowdenbeath took the lead when a free kick by Mo Yakub picked out Craig Sives at the back post to head home.


After this setback it took a while for the visitors to get back in their stride though they were almost given a helping hand when a long throw by Robertson was almost headed into his own net by Sives but Adam was able to tip over. Just as manager Brown Ferguson was about to make changes the Warriors made the breakthrough with Alan Cook heading home a Robertson cross.  A minute later McDaid beat two players with a powerful run but his shot went well over the bar. In the 74th minute Stenhousemuir took the lead when Gilhaney created space with good footwork and he picked out Robertson at the back post. His header squirmed through the diving Adam and into the net. Unbelievably the Warriors scored a third and decisive goal four minutes later. Alan Cook was allowed to run from midway in his own half unhindered and eventually released a shot from distance that sneaked into the net between Adam and his right hand post as once again the keeper didn’t distinguish himself. In the last minute Colin McCabe tipped over a Greg Spence drive but that was a rare threat from the Central Park team.


This was a well deserved win for Stenhousemuir and was their biggest away win this season and indeed only the second time this season that they have won a league game by more than one goal. The last occasion was in August when they beat Cowdenbeath 4-2 at Ochilview.


Cowdenbeath – Adam, Brett, Sives, El Zubaidi, Yakub, Byrne [Caldwell 76], Beaumont [Miller 55], Gibbons, McDaid, Milne and Spence[b86].  Subs not used – Donaldson, Adamson, Scullion, Roman and Johnston


Stenhousemuir – McCabe, McCormack, Murray [b67], Malcolm, Meechan, Stirling, Robertson, Beith, McMenamin, Gilhaney and Cook [Millar 86]. Subs not used – Summers, Scotland, Small, Barclay, Mazana and McCroary.


Referee – David Lowe                   Assistants – John McCrossan and Chris Phillips


Warriors TV


Date Time League Season Full Time
April 23, 2016 3:00 pm SPFL Ladbrokes League 1 2015/2016 90'


Central Park Cowdenbeath


Club1st Half2nd HalfGoalsOutcome