Match Report

Stenhousemuir v Albion Rovers at Ochilview Park, Stenhousemuir on 17.12.16

SPFL Labrokes League One                Att 271

Stenhousemuir 1 [Furtado 74] Albion Rovers 0


Recent games between Stenhousemuir and Albion Rovers have seen the Coatbridge side have the upper hand as they were unbeaten in the last six league games.  The Warriors made one enforced change with Ross Meechan returning to the fold for the injured David Marsh.


In the opening stages Alan Cook came close for the home side on a couple of occasions but didn’t test Ross Stewart the Rovers keeper. The first time any keeper had to make a save was in the 10th minute when Steven Boyd used his strength to ease Vinnie Berry off the ball before his curling effort was saved by Colin McCabe. The Warrior came to Stenhousemuir’s rescue in the 28th minute when he did well to block a half volley from Ross Dunlop after the home side failed to clear their lines at a set play. This was followed three minutes later by another save this time from Ross Gilmour. There wasn’t much between the sides though and for much of this game two hard working sides struggled to open up the opposition defences.

Tempers rose at stages and Jamie McCormack was booked for his reaction to a Boyd taqckle for which the Rovers player was also cautioned.


In the second half the pattern of play was much the same as the first with defences on top. Cook was the most threatening once again for Stenhousemuir but when he eventually eluded his marker he was unlucky to see a well struck effort hit the side net. A powerful run and cross by Fraser Kerr created a glimmer of a chance but was cleared for a corner. Albion Rovers once more came close through a Scott McBride spin and shot that McCabe did well to save and Boyd and Fisher also had efforts that went just wide. 


Nevertheless it ways looked as if it would need to be something special to beat the Rovers defence and that is exactly what happened when Willis Furtado chested down a cross ball and bulleted a shot into the net in the 74th minute.


In the last few minutes Rovers pushed  for the equaliser by throwing Michael Dunlop up top to create problems for the home defence. This could have paid dividends as they went more direct in their play but they were now exposed at the back and gave Stenhousemuir chances to kill them off.


In quick succession the Warriors had a number of chances to add to their tally. Oli Shaw struck the woodwork in the 87th minute after blasting a shot through the legs of Alan Reid. He was unlucky with that strike but he should have killed the game off in the 90th minute. Kieran Millar intercepted the ball and played it through to the on-loan striker but with time to either place his shot or indeed pick out an unmarked Colin McMenamin he hit a wild effort past the post. Another chance fell to him seconds later and this time he managed to get an effort on target but lacked purchase to trouble the keeper. The visitors were being opened up at will and with the last chance of the game it was Alan Cook’s turn to miscue a shot that went wide.


None the less the final whistle blew with Stenhousemuir still leading and this 1-0 victory secured their first league win at Ochilview this season


Stenhousemuir – McCabe, McCormack [b38], Summers, Meechan, Kerr, Berry, Roy [Shaw 72], Millar [b51], McMenamin, Furtado and Cook. Subs not used – Hamilton, McCroary, Mazana, Robertson, Gilhaney and Walker [t]


Albion Rovers – Stewart, Reid, Turnbull, Fisher, R.Dunlop, M.Dunlop, Ferry [Archibald 83], Gilmour [b18], Shields, Boyd [b38] and McBride. Subs not used – Young, Lightbody, Gallagher, Potts, McManus and McGuigan


Referee – Graham Beaton     Assistants – Graeme Stewart and Jordan Curran



Warriors TV


Date Time League Season Full Time
December 17, 2016 3:00 pm SPFL William Hill League 1 2016/17 90'


Ochilview Park Stenhousemuir


Club1st Half2nd HalfGoalsOutcome



Past Meetings