Match Report


Stenhousemuir v Stranraer at Ochilview Park, Stenhousemuir on 15.10.16

Ladbrokes League One                      Att 341

Stenhousemuir 0 Stranraer 5 [Gibson 11, Turner 28, Malcolm 33,79, Nade 77]


After three games unbeaten the international break came at the wrong time for the Warriors as it broke their momentum. Brown Ferguson picked the same starting eleven that had beaten East Fife a fortnight earlier in the first league win of the season.


The home side started well and were unlucky not to go ahead after only five minutes when Kieran Millar struck the post from a Willis Furtado cross after only 5 minutes. They were to find themselves in arrears though in the 11th minute. Willie Gibson once again showing his prowess at free kicks by steering an effort in the bottom corner of the net with Colin McCabe struggling to get across after initially going the wrong way.


In the 15th minute Stenhousemuir struck the woodwork once again. A long range Jamie McCormack strike seemed to catch Stranraer custodian Cameron Belford out and went through his hands but struck the crossbar before the keeper managed to retrieve the rebound.


In the 28th minute Stranraer extended their lead. Furtado was dispossessed by Guiliano Morena. The ball broke to Mark McGuigan who flicked it onto Craig Malcolm who in turned passed it into the path of Kyle Turner and the youngster slotted a first time effort into the net.


Five minutes later the visitors scored their third goal. Poor marking at a throw in allowed McGuigan to advance on goal. His effort was only partially blocked by Colin McCabe and Craig Malcolm showed his predatory instincts to react first and tuck the ball into the empty net.


In the last minutes of the half the Warriors had a number of half chances to get back into the game. McMenamin just failed to steer a poor clearance into the net after 40 minutes and this was followed by a Furtado strike that was parried away and then a Vinnie Berry effort that was spilled by the keeper. Nonetheless Stranraer took a three goal lead into the interval.


Stenhousemuir have showed fighting spirit to get back into games recently but in the second period they struggled to get to grips with the game. There were few clear cut chances at either end with McGuigan coming closest for the visitors with a shot that was blocked at close range by David Marsh. A minute later an Alan Cook interception created a chance for Oli Shaw but he hit a weak effort wide.


The introduction of the experienced Christian Nade gave fresh impetus to the Stranraer attack and when Craig Thomson picked him out with a cross from the right wing Nade volleyed the fourth goal into the net off the underside of the crossbar.


The Warriors fell apart after this and Stranraer went nap in the 79th minute when Nade saw Malcolm unmarked in the box and the striker took his time to poke the ball past McCabe. There could have been more goals after this but Stranraer it is safe to say will have been happy with five whilst Brown Ferguson was left scratching his head about how easy a win iy became after a competitive opening period.  


 Stenhousemuir – McCabe, McCormack [b16], Meechan, Marsh [b50], Kerr [b13], Berry, Furtado, Millar [Stirling 61], McMenamin,  Shaw[Roy 61] and Cook [Gilhaney 80].  Subs not used –Robertson,  Summers, McCroary and  Smith.


Stranraer – Belford, Robertson, Dick [b51], Barron [McKeown 80], Bell, Morena, Turner [b87], C.Thomson [Watt 65], Gibson [b84], Malcolm and McGuigan [Nade 77]. Subs not used – Currie, Agnew and R.Thomson


Referee – Grant Irvine           Assistants – Ralph Gordon and Jim Burns



Warriors TV


Date Time League Season Full Time
October 15, 2016 3:00 pm SPFL Ladbrokes League 1 2016/2017 90'


Ochilview Park Stenhousemuir


Club1st Half2nd HalfGoalsOutcome