Match Report


Clyde v Stenhousemuir at Broadwood Stadium, Cumbernauld on 26.8.17

SPFL Ladbrokes League Two             Att 440

Clyde 1 [Nicoll 77] Stenhousemuir 1 [McGuigan 31]


Clyde – Crawford [t], Home, Stewart, McNiff, Bradley [Burbidge h/t], Cuddihy [b90], Millar [Wright 65], Nicoll, Osadolor, Goodwillie and Ramsay [b90]. Subs not used – Breslin, Brown, Lowdon, Wilson and Belkacem.


Stenhousemuir – Smith, Meechan, M.Dunlop, R.Dunlop, Ferry, Blockley [McMenamin 87], McGuigan, Paton, Longworth, Ferns [Scott 62] and Donaldson. Subs not used – Gilmour, N.Paterson [t], McMinn, Halleran and Murray.


Referee – Scott Millar            Assistants – Mark McLean and Jordan Curran


Both teams came into this game with trialists in their squads that would have been recognisable to Stenhousemuir supporters. On the bench for the Warriors was Nicki Paterson who had made his debut against Peterhead, whilst starting in goals for the Bully Wee was David Crawford who of course was with Stenhousemuir last season but is now a goalkeeping coach at Clyde.


Stenhousemuir had a fresh face though after the signing of Innes Murray on loan from Hibernian but the supporters will have to wait a bit longer to see how he plays as he was like Paterson not used on the day.


Crawford was called upon to save in the fourth minute when Mark McGuigan looked to capitalise on a Kevin Nicoll slip and the keeper did well to block after reacting quickly.

The main talking point in the opening exchanges though was the lengthy treatment required on the touch line to Michael Dunlop after he had been caught by Smart Osodolor’s boot in the face but after ten minutes absence and some glue he was able to resume play.


There were only glimpses from both sides though the Warriors were clearly the more dangerous in the first half without too many clear cut chances. The visitors did eventually take the lead in the 31st minute with a stunning strike by McGuigan who hit a first time dipping half volley off the underside of the bar and into the net after a nice flick on by Jamie Longworth. If truth be told it deserved to grace a bigger game than this one.


Clyde almost equalised in the 38th minute when an Osalodor cross was deflected off Ross Dunlop and it spun onto the bar. Stenhousemuir were denied by Crawford once more in the 43rd minute who saved once again from McGuigan and just before the end of the half a Longworth back header from a Ross Meechan throw went just over.


Clyde made tactical changes at half time bringing on Mark Burbidge as well as changing formation as they tried to get back into the game.  They had a good chance in the 54th minute when David Goodwillie headed wide when a well directed header would have brought results. Clyde claimed for a penalty after a Burbidge shot was blocked but it was more a shout in frustration than anything else.


With Clyde pushing more they were liable to be caught out at the back and Stenhousemuir could have capitalised after Longworth and Martin Scott combined to set up McGuigan but for once he was unable to make the most of the opportunity.


The home side equalised in the 77th minute when ex-Warrior Kevin Nicoll powered home a header. It was well taken but Stenhousemuir could be aggrieved about the goal as Longworth was fouled in the build up. Darren Ramsay then had a powerful shot saved but Osalodor didn’t endear himself to the travelling support the way he followed in late on Chris Smith and was very lucky to just be spoken to. A minute later Osalodor shot wide. The final minutes though saw Scott fail to beat Crawford from eight yards out and the keeper also denied Ross Dunlop in the last minute and the whistle blew with honours even. 




Warriors TV


Date Time League Season Full Time
August 26, 2017 3:00 pm SPFL William Hill League 2 2017/18 90'


Broadwood Stadium, Cumbernauld


Club1st Half2nd HalfGoalsOutcome



Past Meetings