Match Report


Stenhousemuir v Elgin City at Ochilview Park, Stenhousemuir on 23.12.17

SPFL Ladbrokes League Two             Att 373

Stenhousemuir 4 [Cook 33, Paton 39, McGuigan 87, Murray 90] Elgin City 1 [Bronsky 81]


Stenhousemuir – Smith, Meechan, M.Dunlop, R.Dunlop, Donaldson, Marsh, McGuigan, Ferry, Scott [b63], [Murray 78], Paton [Allan 90] and Cook [Ferns 90]. Subs not used – McMenamin, Paterson, McMinn and Longworth.


Elgin City – Waters, Cooper, Allan, Bronsky, Eadie, McGovern, Dodd [McLeish h/t], Smith [Strapp 73], Anderson [Byrne 63], Reilly [b76] and A.Sutherland. Subs not used – Dear, Whitehead [t], Scott and McDade .

Referee – Peter Stuart           Assistants – Paul O’Neil and Eddie Ferguson


After the disappointing result at Cowdenbeath the Warriors were given a quick opportunity to turn things around in this game against Elgin. The Boroughbriggs side had been the better team in the previous encounter and it was important that Stenhousemuir got off to a good start in this game. That is exactly what happened though it took a while for the goals to come. David Marsh looked as if he had opened the scoring early on when he converted a rebound after Marc Waters had saved from Alan Cook but the ‘goal’ was chopped off for an infringement. Marsh came close once again in the 17th minute when a deep Harry Paton corner picked hi out but his header struck the crossbar. Ruaridh Donaldson then set up Cook but his shot went just wide with the keeper rooted to the spot.  For all their pressure it didn’t look as if they would be rewarded until the 33rd minute when Cook took the opportunity to blast a skidding effort into the net after a gap had opened up for him. Elgin responded with a Thomas Reilly effort that went just wide as he looked to emulate his strike in the first game.


The Warriors managed to get a cushion when they scored their second in the 39th minute when a clever run by Paton ended with a dinked effort over the keeper who had went to ground. Elgin had a chance a minute later from a breakaway Bruce Anderson failed to test the keeper from a good position.


Stenhousemuir continued to be positive after the break and Paton once again and Ross Meechan came close with powerful shots whilst at the other end Scott Smith came close for the visitors. There was controversy in the 62nd minute when Martin Scott was cautioned for simulation when he went down in the box by referee Peter Stuart though it looked and indeed sounded as if there had been contact.


In the 81st minute Elgin reduced the deficit when Stephen Bronsky headed home a Jordan Allan corner. This could have led to a difficult end to the game but to their credit the Warriors took things in their stride and Mark McGuigan restored parity in the 87th minute when he spun and tucked a shot into the net after good work down the right flank.


That wasn’t the end of the action though as in stoppage time Innes Murray scored his first ever senior goal when a loose ball was threaded through to him and he took the opportunity to lash the ball into the net. Credit also has to go to McGuigan who had the presence of mind to check a run for the ball as he had been in an offside position.


As well as Murray’s first goal there was also another achievement by one of the youngsters in the squad as at long last Paul Allan made his competitive debut when he came on late in the game. He must have been getting frustrated sitting on the bench every week as he has lots of potential but it is difficult to dispossess the players who play his position when they are doing a good and consistent job for the team.    





Warriors TV


Date Time League Season Full Time
December 23, 2017 3:00 pm SPFL Ladbrokes League 2 2017/2018 90'


Ochilview Park Stenhousemuir


Club1st Half2nd HalfGoalsOutcome