Match Report


Cowdenbeath v Stenhousemuir at Central Park, Cowdenbeath on 19.12.17

SPFL Ladbrokes League Two             Att 245

Cowdenbeath 1 [Buchanan 27] Stenhousemuir 1 [McGuigan 60]


Cowdenbeath – McGurn, McInally, Swann, Pyper, Rumsby, Miller, Mullen, Malcolm [b65], Muirhead [Connelly 79] , Smith and Buchanan [b59]. Subs not used – Fotheringham, Rutherford, Whittaker, Penman, Garden and Trialist


Stenhousemuir – Smith, Meechan, M.Dunlop, R.Dunlop, Donaldson, Marsh [b39], McGuigan, Ferry [Ferns 89], Scott, McMenamin [Longworth 70] and Cook. Subs not used – Paton, Halleran, Paterson and McMinn


Referee – Steven Kirkland     Assistants – Ivan Stankovic and Alastair Grieve


After the Central Park pitch had been frozen off on the Saturday for their game against Clyde there were very few supporters who expected this game to be played several days later especially as the pitch was still frozen on the Monday. Nevertheless a thaw in the temperature meant that the pitch was fine for this game. Perhaps the Warriors had subconsciously not expected that scenario as they were slow to get into the game and it was only in the second half that they played close to the standard that the manager expects of them.


Since the last meeting between the clubs Cowdenbeath had changed managers with Gary Bollan now in charge and in the early stages of his time at Central Park he had been working hard on getting the defence sorted out but for this game he had the home side playing a more attacking game.


The Blue Brasil took the initiative from the start of the game with Stenhousemuir primarily on the back foot. Although they were obviously the better side it was in the 19th minute when they created their first real chance when Cameron Muirhead flashed a shot across goal that got the slightest of touches for a corner from which Scott Rumsby came close. They eventually took the lead though in the 27th minute when Robbie Buchanan reacted first to convert a rebound after s Brad Smith header had struck the crossbar. Stenhousemuir responded with a Colin McMenamin effort just wide on his 100th start for the Warriors, and this was followed by a Ross Dunlop volley that just missed as well. The best chance though fell to Mark McGuigan who broke free but his shot with just the keeper to beat was saved by David McGurn. Before the interval Robbie Buchanan had a shot pushed out unconvincingly for a corner.


If the first half had been poor from a Stenhousemuir point of view and they were lucky only to be a goal down it was a better performance in the second. McGuigan was denied once again by McGurn who saved with his legs and  Alan Cook was also thwarted by the keeper who parried a shot onto the post. On the hour mark though the game was level as Stenhousemuir scored in a similar fashion to Cowdenbeath with McGuigan converting after a Scott header had struck the crossbar.


It wasn’t one way traffic though and Marc Miller’s strike was saved at the second attempt minutes later. Jamie Longworth entered proceedings and created an opportunity with his control of a Smith kick out but he was denied again by McGurn who was on top of his game. Cowdenbeath youngster Ryan Connelly showed promise when he came on and he was unlucky with an attempt that hit the side net after eluding his marker. In stoppage time McGurn once again kept the score level saving from late sub Eddie Ferns.


The response of the supporters told their own story at the end with Cowdenbeath applauded by everyone off the park whilst Stenhousemuir didn’t get the same reception.



Warriors TV


Date Time League Season Full Time
December 19, 2017 7:45 pm SPFL Ladbrokes League 2 2017/2018 90'


Central Park Cowdenbeath


Club1st Half2nd HalfGoalsOutcome