Match Report


Peterhead v Stenhousemuir at Balmoor, Peterhead on 11.11.17

Ladbrokes SPFL League Two             Att 525

Peterhead 2 [Leitch 57, Jo Brown 78]  Stenhousemuir 3 [McGuigan 13, 82 pen, M.Dunlop 70]


Peterhead – Fleming, Jason Brown [b82], Robertson, McIlduff [Stevenson 35], McCracken, Ferry [Riley 56], Leitch, S.Brown [Jordan Brown 55][b78], McAllister, McLean and Gibson. Subs not used – Hobday, Smith, Dikobo and Adams.


Stenhousemuir – Smith, Meechan, M.Dunlop, R.Dunlop, Paterson [Marsh 84], Ferry, McGuigan [McMenamin 90], Paton [b39][Scott 69], Longworth, Ferns and Donaldson. Subs not used – Gilmour, Allan, Murray  and McMinn.


Referee – Scott Millar            Assistants – Douglas Ross and Chris Phillips


The Warriors have had the better of Peterhead in recent games and were hoping to continue that record against a side that had begun to hit form in the league. The games at Balmoor in particular are always fraught with danger but once again it was Stenhousemuir that came out on top but there were a few nervy moments as the home side came back from a goal down twice and must have felt that the momentum had swung their way in the latter stages of the game.


Stenhousemuir took the lead in the 13th minute when Eddie Ferns picked out Mark McGuigan in the box and the unmarked striker headed home.  This is the type of goal that has managers of the conceding team tearing their hair out and it wasn’t the only time in the game that Jim McInally’s men showed frailty in defence. Russell McLean was thwarted by a decent save from Chris Smith in the 23rd minute but a couple of minutes later the keeper had a touch of good fortune when a Rory McAllister free-kick struck the crossbar before hitting Smith and going out. In the main it was fairly comfortable though for Stenhousemuir during the first period though Smith did well to stop a Scott Brown effort in the last action of the first half.


Jack Leitch struck the post after the resumption but the Peterhead player didn’t have long to get on the score-sheet as a shot beat Smith in the 57th minute to level the scores.  Stenhousemuir responded through a McGuigan shot that went wide of the target. Referee Scott Millar waived home appeals for a penalty away in the 68th minute after McAllister went down in the box. The home supporters mood worsened two minutes later when Michael Dunlop popped up to head home a Jamie Longworth cross. Things appeared to be getting worse for the Blue Toon when Jordan Brown was cautioned for dissent after Chris Smith brought off a great save but the referee awarded a goal kick. He was happier a couple of minutes later though as he headed home the equaliser from a Willie Gibson free-kick.


In the past the heads might have went down but to their credit the Warriors responded positively and Ruaridh Donaldson whipped in a cross that was just missed by Jimmy Scott. Peterhead were struggling to deal with crosses for much of the game and it was to be their downfall once again in the 82nd minute. This time David McCracken made a clumsy attempt to impede Mark McGuigan which was spotted by the referee who had no hesitation in pointing to the spot.


McGuigan stepped up and converted a well-placed strike into the net beating Greg Fleming who is one of the best spot kick stoppers in the land. This goal was the killer blow for Peterhead who failed to get going again and Stenhousemuir were able to see the rest of the game out with relative comfort much to the enjoyment of the small band of supporters who had made the long trek north.



Date Time League Season Full Time
November 11, 2017 3:00 pm SPFL Ladbrokes League 2 2017/2018 90'


Balmoor Stadium, Peterhead


Club1st Half2nd HalfGoalsOutcome