Match Report


Stenhousemuir v Berwick Rangers at Ochiilview Park, Stenhousemuir on 3.2.18

SPFL Ladbrokes League Two             Att 323

Stenhousemuir 4 [Scott 13, 70 Paton 34, Cook 68] Berwick Rangers 0


Stenhousemuir – Smith, Meechan, M.Dunlop, R.Dunlop, Donaldson, Ferry, McGuigan [Longworth 78], Paton, Scott [McMenamin 78], Murray [Ferns 67] and Cook. Subs not used – Paterson, Marsh, McMinn and Gilmour.


Berwick Rangers – McCrorie, Fleming, Thomson [Lavery 58], Willis, Phillips [so 80], Petkov [b50][Todd 58], Stewart [b11][so 54], O’Kane, Cook, Hamilton and See [Orru 72]. Subs not used – Brennan, Fairbairn, Murrell and Simpson.


Referee – Mat Northcroft     Assistants – Mark McLean and Scott Anderson


After a misfiring performance up at Elgin this was a far more pleasing affair. The Warrior’s welcomed Harry Paton back into the starting eleven after his loan from Hearts was renewed and he was to have an influence on the game. Thomas Halleran who had started against Elgin dropped out of the squad after picking up an injury in a bounce game through the week.


The early stages ebbed and flowed but after the home side took the lead they never looked back. The first foal came in the 12th minute through a header from Jimmy Scott who was playing a more attacking role in the middle and he showed his scoring prowess to head home a cross by Ross Dunlop who had made a foray down the right flank.


He should really have doubled his tally in the 18th minute though when an Alan Cook pass split open the Berwick defence but with just the keeper to beat he blasted over from close range.  The visitors had efforts from Steven Thomson and Jack Hamilton but neither troubled Chris Smith. Paton did well with a crossfield run on the half hour before picking out Cook but his strike across goal ended up going for a throw in.


In the main the Warriors were on top but Berwick only a goal behind could have got back into the game when Ross Dunlop lost possession to Ouzy See who crossed for Hamilton but Dunlop responded and regained ground to recover the situation.


Stenhousemuir then extended their lead in the 34th minute when a Cook delivery was headed by Mark McGuigan into the path of Paton  and he showed composure to tuck the ball into the net.


The two goal margin was no more than Stenhousemuir deserved and the visitors struggles weren’t helped when Kieran Stewart was dismissed for his second booking in the 54th minute. This effectively ended the Borderers challenge and they had keeper Robbie McCrorie to thank for keeping the score down when he saved a Paton free kick.


Brown Ferguson brought on Eddie Ferns in an attempt to spread the play out and he was to have an immediate impact when his shot was saved by McCrorie but the rebound was drilled into the net by Cook. Two minutes later Stenhousemuir scored their fourth and once again Ferns was to play a part as he picked out Scott at the second attempt and Scott made no mistake dispatching a first time shot into the net.


Although the score wasn’t extended before the end of the game that wasn’t the end of the woes for Berwick as they had Gary Phillips sent off for descent after his frustrations got the better of him and he was shown a straight red by the referee with ten minutes to go.




Warriors TV


Date Time League Season Full Time
February 3, 2018 3:00 pm SPFL Ladbrokes League 2 2017/2018 90'


Ochilview Park Stenhousemuir


Club1st Half2nd HalfGoalsOutcome