Match Report


Stenhousemuir v Cowdenbeath at Ochilview Park, Stenhousemuir on 20.03.18

SPFL Ladbrokes League Two             Att 312

Stenhousemuir 1 [Longworth 73] Cowdenbeath 2 [Malcolm 22, Buchanan 29]


Stenhousemuir – McMinn, Meechan [Cunningham 89], M.Dunlop [b89], R.Dunlop, Donaldson, Ferry, McGuigan, Paterson [Ferns 63][b75], McMenamin [Longworth 62], Paton and Cook. Subs not used – Marsh, Murray, Scott and Foden


Cowdenbeath – McGurn, Mullen [b62], Swann [Reilly 80], Pyper [b34], Gilfillan [b5][Rumsby 68], Miller, Cox [McInally 89], Malcolm. Sheerin, Smith and Buchanan [b83]. Subs not used – Luke, Whittaker, Fotheringham and Penman.


Referee – Mike Roncone       Assistants – Willie Conquer and Tony Fullerton


After the victory at Peterhead the momentum was stopped by the postponement against Berwick Rangers and although they managed to get a training session in it is not the same as proper game time. Cowdenbeath were at the opposite end of the table from Peterhead but after their first win since August in their previous match against Elgin City they came into the game with a degree of confidence.


The Fifers have not had their troubles to seek of late but they put their issues behind them to put on a spirited performance which ultimately picked up all three points. The visitors started the game at a high tempo as they did in the last meeting at Central Park and Stenhousemuir failed to combat the flow of the game. The home side came close twice through Colin McMenamin headers but in the main the early play was at the other end of the park. Lewis McMinn pushed a piledriver from Brad Smith to safety after 7 minutes. He was lucky though when he was beaten by a Jordan Sheerin effort but it rattled the bar and went to safety.


Cowdenbeath did however take the lead in the 22nd minute when a Robbie Buchanan shot was saved by McMinn’s feet but Blair Malcolm was able to react first to tuck the ball into the net from close range.

Worse was to follow just before the half hour when Ruaridh Donaldson lost possession and Buchanan took full advantage to rifle a shot into the top corner of the net.


Stenhousemuir’s response came from McMenamin who hit a first time shot from a Michael Dunlop cross but his effort was easily gathered by David McGurn.  In the main though the Stenhousemuir forwards were struggling to get free from their markers who kept a tight grip, sometimes literally, on proceedings.


The second half started better for the Warriors and McMenamin tested McGurn just after the resumption after a run and cross by Harry Paton who looked to be the one player likely to unlock the Cowdenbeath defence.

After the early promise though Cowdenbeath began to get back into the game as Stenhousemuir faltered.


The home side did reduce the margin though in the 73rd minute through a glancing header by sub Jamie Longworth as he converted a Donaldson cross. A couple of minutes later Paton struck the post from a tight angle and this was followed seconds later by a Longworth effort just wide after he managed to dig the ball out from under his feet.


It wasn’t one way traffic though and Sheerin showed his threat when he fired just over with ten minutes left. The visitors were frustrating the home support with their game management as they ran the clock down, but most clubs would have done the same given their precarious position.


There was one last chance in stoppage time for the Warriors after Michael Dunlop carved out an opening for himself but his shot lacked power and McGurn was able to gather before flopping to the ground to use up more vital seconds.   



Warriors TV


Date Time League Season Full Time
March 20, 2018 7:30 pm SPFL Ladbrokes League 2 2017/2018 90'


Ochilview Park Stenhousemuir


Club1st Half2nd HalfGoalsOutcome