The final fixture for January saw the Warriors host Elgin City. The previous 3 meetings didn’t go the Warriors way but it was Gary Naysmith’s first match against Elgin since taking charge.

Naysmith made two changes from the side that exited the Scottish Cup the previous week. Curtis Lyle replaced Jay Cantley, whilst Thomas Orr dropped to the bench with Will Sewell taking his place in the striker position.

The first chance of the game fell to the visitors. Kane Hester picked up the ball around 30 yards from goal. He drove forward before hitting an attempt over the bar.

Elgin were gifted a chance a few minutes later. A ball forward was headed away by Jamieson, with Yeats trying to head the ball away further. The left back was unable to get enough behind the header, with the ball falling to Hester, who failed to trouble Lyle.

The Warriors created their first chance in the 10th minute. A cross from Wedderburn found the head of Yates, who struggled to direct the ball towards goal.

A spell of dominance for the hosts followed but McHale was only really called into action to claim crosses in the air. The Warriors saw a few chances blocked by the defence but McHale wasn’t troubled as such.

In the 34th minute, Euan O’Reilly worked his magic to create space for himself. Not sure if he tried a shot or a cross but it didn’t matter as the ball nestled on top of the net.

Not long after, Hester had another chance, on the right wing, he tried to test Lyle in the Warriors goal but the ball ended up in the empty terracing behind the goal.

A run forward from, ex Warrior, Russell Dingwall caused a few issues at the back for the Warriors. Dingwall was stopped at the edge of the box but was able to tee up MacEwan. MacEwan hit the ball first time but his shot was over.

Another chance for Elgin came not long after. Brian Cameron was the player to have the shot but ,like the chances before, the ball ends up no where near the target.

Nat Wedderburn picked up the games first booking for a foul on Tom Findlay in the 39th minute.

On the cusp of half time, the deadlock was finally broken. The Warriors were awarded a free kick as O’Reilly was clattered just inside the Elgin half. The free kick was taken and after a few passes, O’Reilly laid the ball off to Brown. Brown drove forward before hitting a low shot towards goal, getting the better of McHale. The Warriors were infront with the first shot on target [Stenhousemuir 1-0 Elgin City || Brown 44]

HALF TIME – Stenhousemuir 1-0 Elgin City

The Warriors returned to the field with one change being made at the break. Club captain Sean Crighton replaced Dan Higgins as Nicky Jamieson’s partner at the back.

The Warriors were able to deal with the early pressure from Elgin had a chance to make it 2-0. Adam Brown intercepted a pass in the middle of the park before finding O’Reilly on the left wing. Euan drove forward before arriving in the box and finding Brown. Brown’s shot was saved well by McHale.

Nat Wedderburn was next to have a shot for the hosts. He was teed off by Brown but his shot was straight at the keeper.

The Warriors defence was resolute in denying Elgin any clear chances. Dingwall saw a shot blocked by Crighton before the following chances didn’t cause any issues.

On the hour, Elgin made a double change looking to get into the game. Rory MacEwan and Tom Findlay made way for Aaron Reid and Matthew Cooper. Reid recently joined on loan from Aberdeen and scored on his debut for the highlanders.

Just after the sub, Will Sewell broke away down the left wing. He looked to find a player in maroon in the middle but the keeper was on hand to collect.

The 67th saw the second sub of the afternoon for the Warriors as Will Sewell made way for Thomas Orr.

Elgin created a number of chances looking to get level with Lyle being forced into a save, albeit from a shot directly at him from Reid.

Aaron Reid picked up a yellow card for arguing with the referee whilst Evan Towler collected one moments later. Jake Dolzanski was booked to complete the trifecta of yellows for the visitors.

Adam Corbett found Euan O’Reilly in the middle with a cross. The winger brings the ball down and fires over the bar.

With 13 minutes to go, Elgin made another double sub. Evan Towler and Jevan Anderson made way for Mitchell Taylor and Darryl McHardy.

McHardy was called into action immediately as he took a free kick. He curled an effort towards goal but was narrowly wide.

As the game ventured into the final 10 minutes, both sides continued to create chances.

Kian Speirs made his second appearance for the club, replacing Matty Yates in the 83rd minute.

In the 87th minute the wingers were replaced. Brown and O’Reilly were replaced by Michael Anderson and Ross Forbes as the Warriors looked to tighten up heading into the final few minutes.

Elgin made their final change a minute later as Dingwall was replaced by Chris Antoniazzi.

As the game entered stoppage time, Ross Forbes became the second Warriors player to receive a yellow.

In the 92nd minute, the Warriors created another chance. Thomas Orr latched on to the ball just inside the Elgin half. He drove across to the left wing, playing a one-two with Ross Forbes. Orr crossed low finding Michael Anderson who knocked home for his first professional goal. [Stenhousemuir 2-0 Elgin City, Anderson 92]

That was the last bit of action in the game, as a late goal either half was enough to see the Warriors win the 3 points. Additionally, for the first time since the opening match of the league season, the Warriors kept a clean sheet following a solid defensive performance!

FULL TIME – Stenhousemuir 2-0 Elgin City