Swifty made a change to the shape in order finally get the season up and running.

Nicky Jamieson took place in the middle of a back 3 along with Dan Higgins and Sean Crighton.

Nat Wedderburn and Ross Forbes took the midfield positions with Mikey Miller and Callum Yeats wing backs.

Will Sewell and Matty Yates lead the line with Adam Brown in behind.

The hosts had the better of the opening 5 minutes as both teams tried to suss each other out. The 3 man defence holding firm though and restricting Forfar to long range shots.

10 minutes played and still no clear opening from either team. Forfar have had the best of the opening counter and the visitors have really yet to find their feet. The Warriors have tried a few balls over the top, but each time the home defence have managed to shepherd the ball out of play for a goal kick.

The Warriors had a glorious chance to take the lead on 13 minutes. Matty Yates managed to get on the end of a Ross Forbes through ball. He expertly headed down to an on rushing Will Sewell. The first time shot was destined for the back of the net but for an on-rushing Marc McCallum in the home goals with an excellent save. Best chance of the match and indiction of what The Warriors can do.

It was almost a role reversal just a few moments later. Will Sewell this time heading down for Matty Yates, but the home defence cleared before the former Stranraer man could make contact.

18 minutes and the game has it’s first corner. A deep in swinger was hit by Forbes and just missed by Jamieson.

GOAL: Just a moment later, same combination, different outcome. Forbes again whipped in a dangerous corner and this time Nicky Jamieson made no mistake and nestled his header in the back of the net. FORFAR ATHLETIC 0-1 STENHOUSEMUIR [Jamieson 20 minutes] 

The big defender ensured the score stayed 1-0 just a few moments later with a fine block in his own box.

28 minutes into the match and the game is stopped with Dan Higgins down with a headknock.

Unbelievable defending by the visitors after the restart. A fine point blank save by Brennan was followed up by another last ditch block, this time by Crighton and then another by Nat Wedderburn.

38 minutes gone and another last ditch block by Crihgton keeps The Warriors 1 up.

GOAL: A deadly breakaway saw Forbes control the ball and pass out to Matty Yates. He drilled the ball into Sewell and the striker ran at Andy Munro who couldn’t keep up. The striker saw his left footed shot nestle in the back of the net. FORFAR ATHLETIC 0-2 STENHOUSEMUIR [Sewell 41 minutes]

The half was played out with not much more goal mouth action. The hosts maybe disappointed not to have scored and only some spirited defending has stopped them.


The hosts came out strongest in the second half and dominated the opening 10 minutes. However, it was the hosts that had the first good attempt of the half with Adam Brown picking up the ball from Will Sewell, but firing a tame shot towards the keeper.

SUBSTITUTION: Scott Walker replaces Callum Yeats at left back with 35 minutes to play.

Forfar continue to push and look for a goal, but they have no ideas on breaking the stubborn visiting defence. The defence know the answers before Forfar are even asking the questions.

SUBSTITUTION: 2nd change for The Warriors with Mikey Anderson replacing Forbes in the middle of the park.

Into the final 25 minutes and The Warriors have sat back a bit. Some neat play from Miller and Yates secured a corner which was knocked wide by Jamieson. Anderson, Sewell and Yates also combining well to break open the home defence.

SUBSTITUTION: Final change for The Warriors has Will Sewell replaced by Tam Orr with 20 minutes to go.

Tam Orr is causing a nuisance and was fouled 30 yards out. Matty Yates stepped up and driven free kick was eventually met by Orr who was flagged as offside.

BOOKING: Matty Yates picks up a yellow card after a confrontation with Roberto Nditi

Last season’s top scorer had a great chance to put the game to bed 15 to play but his shot was straight at McCallum.

BOOKING: Mikey Miller fouls just outside the box on 85 minutes and picks up a booking.

GOAL: The resultant free kick is driven against the post and Roberto Nditi was first to react at the back post to tap in an empty net. FORFAR ATHLETIC 1-2 STENHOUSEMUIR [Roberto Nditi 85 minutes]

Taht set up a nervy final 5 minutes for the visitors who were desperate to hold on.


A much needed win for Stephen Swift’s side who take the 3 points back down the road.

We welcome Stranraer to Ochilview next week.